I received a book last Christmas called "Whole Grain Vegan Baking" and have recently have had a lot of fun making the recipes in it. The jist of these recipes is they replace the egg and dairy with potatoes, squash, other vegetables, oils and vegan yogurt.
This one was for scones which were super good. The book recipe was fairly faithful in terms of what it provided, etc. Proportions worked well too. Also I don't always use all the fancy flours.
Total Time: 2 hours including cleaning, cooking etc
Yield: book said 4 for me more like 6
- 1 cup barley flour
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp mashed potato
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3/4 cup semi hot full-fat canned coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Warm up coconut milk can and mix in solids so that you can use it.
- Combine flour, nutmeg, and salt in large bowl.
- Crumble potato on top and work it in with flour until combined, and no large potato chunks remain.
- Stir in baking powder, raisins, and cornstarch into the flour until combined.
- Then add coconut milk, until dough forms which should not be too dry or crumbly, but not too wet either.
- Make the dough into a ball and divide in 6 portions. Shape into a disc and put on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until browned at bottom. Remove from oven and place on cooling rack.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!