Barley Soup Recipes

You can use leftover cooked chicken by simply reducing the cooking/seasoning time in step two to just under 1 minute instead of 2 minutes. Yesterday, I switched the chicken with leftover turkey from Christmas and it turned out just as yummy. You can also add an extra 1/3 cup of barley if you like a thicker soup.

One more thing, I like this recipe without adding more flavors, but if you would like to spice this soup up a bit, add some poultry seasoning or Italian seasoning to taste.

• 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 8 celery ribs, diced small
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth or 5 1/2 cups
  • 1 cup pearl barley
  • 5 cups (5 oz.) baby spinach

Directions:

Heat oil over medium high in a large pot, add celery and onion and cook until just tender, about 8 minutes.

Add chicken, season with salt and pepper to taste and cook, while stirring, for 2 minutes.

Add broth, bring to a boil, stir in barley, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until barley is tender and chicken is cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes.

Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 1 minute, and serve

By Deeli from Richland, WA

6 More Solutions

Way too easy and if you live alone like me, there will be lots of leftovers to share with friends or to refrigerate and/or freeze for the future. The market I usually shop at doesn't carry pearl barley but I found it at the health food store a couple of doors away.

A simple, hearty soup that can be made in less than an hour.

I'm a mushroom and barley lover. Very tasty. In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook the leek, celery and garlic in oil for 2 minutes.

Even in the Spring and Summer I love soup and a slow cooker is the way to go to keep the kitchen cooled down.

Place soup bone and beef cubes in a large pot. Add water, tomatoes, onion, and salt. Cover and simmer 2 hours. Add carrots, celery, and turnip; simmer 30 minutes.

This page contains beef barley and vegetable soup recipes. A hearty, nutritious soup can be made with a variety of vegetables, beef and, of course, barley.

Vegetable Beef Barley Soup in White Bowl

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Recipes SoupsMarch 5, 2014
🐰
🌻
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Barley-Soup-Recipes.html