Best Bait for a Mouse Trap

Category Mice
One method of ridding your home of mice is to utilize a trap, including both snap and live traps. Choosing the right bait is important to the success of your efforts. This is a guide about best bait for a mouse trap.

I have tried peanut butter, honey peanut butter, cheese, and gumdrops; the mice do not touch these. What else can I use? I am using the Ortho traps.

By Michele

Answers

Why would you ever use a mousetrap anyway? It is medieval. If you have mice in your home use humane mouse traps so you can release them outdoors. Also permanently fix the problem as to why you have mice where you do not want them. Don't kill them. Have some respect!

Maybe the problem is where you are placing the traps? The best area is around the edges of the room, and of course the humane ones are the ones to use.

Mice (and rats) love raw bacon. Probably the fat.

And I swear by a cat. I have had one mouse in my house in 25 years. By the time I knew I had a mouse, the cats had dealt with it. I have 2 house cats at the moment, one is the hunter; one is the moral support and comic relief.

In the meantime, while you are looking for a good house cat, popet has good advice. You may not be putting the traps in the paths that the mice use. My mother swears by peanut butter in traps. You have to be sure that the stuff is not easily stolen out of the traps. This is why peanut butter is good. If you have mice, and they are not coming to the traps, try moving them to different locations.