Best Carpet for Pet Owners

Pets can wreak havoc on your carpet. Choosing a type better suited to a home with pets can help reduce the damage. This is a guide about best carpet for pet owners.

In the near future we hope to replace our carpet with something new. However, we have 5 house cats, who are extremely rough on our walls and carpets to start with. We have an ancient old shag carpet on the floor that is so gross. Have heard that Berber carpet is probably the best if I am dead set on getting carpet. I was wondering if any of you guys have experience in this out there? Also the cats are mostly white, but I have two black kitties. I know my burgundy chair shows the cat hairs BAD,. What color would be the best? I already know brown doesn't work so hot. Need advice! Thank all of you in advance.

Lori from Marion, AR

Answers

I don't know anything about carpet, but for the chair, how about one of those tweedy fabrics in a black/grey/white combination?

My cats "sharpen" their claws on the carpet. A plush syle works well for that as anything with loops, like a berber, will get the carpet strands pulled out. If your cats don't use the carpet that way, then berber should be fine. I have 2 black, one white, and a brown tiger with all colors. My neutral color carpet works well with the mix. It's like a coffee with cream color. If you can find something that has two different tones in it, that's even better for camouflage.

The berber with loops did not hold up well at all with my pets. I have found a short pile is the best bet. I have a tan field with a floral border that hides real well, and my five cats are all different colors.

Thank you for your help!! Yes, my babies use the carpet for their claws unfortunately. They use the walls and everything else, lol. Going to have to put up paneling to cover up the destroyed walls! Just wanted to figure out what best to put down to thwart their efforts because I know how they are!!

If you are changing your carpet why not put wood instead on your floor?

I haven't found any carpet that cat hair doesn't stick to like crazy (for claws short is better). And even if you vacuum daily, there is still tons of cat hair stuck there.

I have also heard that berber is best for rugs in households with cats. I read that we should choose colors for decorating that mimic the color of our pet's hair. My cat is charcoal so that would be the color for my rug and sofa. If your cats are white, I'd try for almost white as the color of my carpet. I think the natural colored berber type rugs would be ideal.

We have two orange and one black kitty. We recently got rid of carpet and put in glueless laminant. It comes in hard wood or tile patterns. We installed it ourself, 1 room per day. Cost was less than the carpet I was looking for. In the past, some of the patterns looked fake but they've come a long way. I'll never go back to carpet again. I do have a few "throw' rugs but I just buy inexpensive ones and when they get worn out I pitch them. I can not tell you how much cleaner our house is now that we have hard floors. They aren't cold either, becuase you put a foam padding under them.

One more thing, If your cat's are clawing the walls, etc, you may want to consider "claw covers" They sell them at the pet store. It's like a little cover you glue onto the tip of their claws. I started doing it when we got new sofas. Works like a charm, you just have to reapply every couple months.

I was told at Lowe's that any carpet with a loose loop texture, especially berber, is bad because their claws can unravel the carpet. It's best to have a "cut pile" Frieze carpets have a short, durable, twisted pile fiber well suited for busy areas.

We have three cats who sometimes claw at the carpet even though we have a couple of sizable alternate places they can scratch that have been sprinkled with catnip in the past.

The place of most offense is at the base of the sliding glass door. When they see another cat just outside the glass, they threaten by engaging in a clawing frenzy. Because the carpet is worn and stained in other places, we want to replace it for Christmas. What type of carpet would you recommend that could withstand clawing, but still would be comforting underfoot? We will not declaw them, because the process lamed our first pet cat, now deceased.

By Vivian P.