Best Pen for Writing on Unfinished Wood?

I bought a 24 inch monogram for my wedding guests to sign. The wood is unfinished. I tried writing on the raw wood with a red Sharpie then spraying with clear varnish, but the Sharpie ran. Any suggestions? I want it to be preserved for posterity. Any help is appreciated.

By Vonda M

Best Answer

I would use a paint pen, sometimes called a paint marker. This is real paint, though, and it doesn't dry immediately like a marker will, so you'll probably want to have someone stationed there with it to help your guests with it. (Make it really clear they shouldn't drag their hand across it.) It does dry within a minute or so though. They come in a very nice metallic silver and gold and are sold in all craft stores and most big box stores.

Anonymous
Best Answer

I recently used a fine point sharpie on a wooden placque and had no problem. The trick is to use a polyurethane spray sealer and spray a VERY light coat.

Then keep repeating light coats until you have a thicker layer. Don't forget to let dry completely before you spray again. It only takes a couple minutes between layers.

Best Answer

I recently used a fine point sharpie on a wooden plaque and had no problem. The trick is to use a polyurethane spray sealer and spray a VERY light coat. Then keep repeating light coats until you have a thicker layer. Don't forget to let dry completely before you spray again. It only takes a couple minutes between layers.

Crafts AdviceJanuary 26, 2015
📓
🐛
🌻
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Best-Pen-for-Writing-on-Unfinished-Wood.html