SnacksRecipes

Best Stovetop Popcorn

I used to hate making popcorn from scratch on the stove because it would pop unevenly, leaving many unpopped kernels and some of the popcorn burnt. But after finding out how unhealthy microwaved popcorn is, I started my popcorn investigation and have found this is the best method for stovetop popcorn.

*You will need a 3 quart pot with a lid

Total Time: 10 minutes

1. Heat the oil in your pot on medium high heat. If using coconut oil like I did, allow it to melt all the way.
  2. Put just a few kernels into the oil.
  3. When the kernels pop, it means your oil is ready.
  4. Ad

5. Removed the popped pieces. Add the rest of the 1/3 cup of kernels in an even layer to the pot. Cover, remove from heat and count 30 seconds. (This is so the kernels can all reach the same temperature and pop evenly at the same time!)
  6. Return pot to heat. The popcorn will begin to pop, then all at once. Gently shake the pot by moving it back and forth over the burner. Try to keep the lid slightly ajar to let the steam from the popcorn release. Once the popping slows to several seconds between pops, remove the pot from heat and transfer to a large serving bowl. It will have enough oil from the cooking process that you do not need to coat it with any other oil or butter, but you can if you want to! I just dash a bit of salt, garlic powder, and cayenne on top and mix it with a spoon. So perfect!
  7. Ad

Great advice! I always end up with a lot of unpopped kernels, which feels like such a waste! Thanks for this attosa!

You are so welcome, Benetta! :)

Good tips for making popcorn. However, what is unhealthy about microwave popcorn?

Check this out...there is always a doom and gloom response for anything we enjoy, but this makes sense to me! I love the stove top method suggested here and it does work - barely any unpopped kernels!

http://foodbabe … crowave-popcorn/

Exactly that article! Thank you, Linda!