Best Way to Cook Dried Beans

What, in people's experience, is the best/easiest way to cook dry bulk beans so that they are actually soft? I'm trying to release dependence on canned goods because of the cost, but I get mixed results at best and it always seems to take for ages.

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

As you transition from using canned beans to preparing dry beans, youll need to make some adjustments in your cooking style. While cooking dry beans takes more time than opening a can and pouring beans into a pot, much of the time is actually hands-free time. I have found that soaking the beans overnight, draining them and putting them in a pot to cook for 45 minutes or more is the best way to achieve soft beans. The precise cooking time varies and may take as much as an hour to an hour and 15 minutes. It will take approximately 8 hours to cook them in a slow cooker. When the skin on the beans splits and curls, youll know the beans are done. You can let the beans cool then put some in freezer bags for later use. Grabbing a bag from the freezer is almost as convenient as opening a can.

that's a good idea re freezing them! also thanks for the skin tip, that might help me gauge the readiness

If you have the money you can invest in an Instant Pot, an electric pressure cooker. They come out soft and the time is reduced greatly

I always soak mine overnight first, and never have a problem. When I do cook them, its in the crockpot.

I soak mine with a dash of baking soda for a few hours, then cook as directed on the bag. The dash of baking soda really helps.

i may try the baking soda and i also heard vinegar helps? It didn't seem to make a difference with me

Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsMay 12, 2018
🌻
😎
🐛
📓