Birds Eating Grapes

Birds are eating all of my grapes. Any ideas to keep this from happening? I tried to scare them with bright objects on the vines as well as shiny Christmas ornaments. I made a cayenne spray, but that will get in the way of the flavor. I am stumped!

By Tamarra

Well I was in my local garden shop the other day and they sell bird netting to cover trees to keep birds from eating the fruit. The netting is 14 feet by 14 feet and the cost I believe was about $10. Maybe there is something similar in your area.

Tulle from the fabric store will work and it's very affordable.

Birds seem to avoid shiny aluminum foil and movement of the wind making the foil swing around. I know this sounds mighty strange, but the circular plastic covers from coffee, cream cheese, sour cream etc. can be covered with aluminum foil (not expensive good stuff, get it at the Dollar Store, the birds won't care).

Use a paper punch to make a hole in each and use thread or yard to tie each one to the grape vines. This will only work for about two years as the birds get used to it, but it's an immediate, inexpensive start!