Birds Not Using Bird Bath

I cleaned up an old plastic bird bath that someone had thrown out. After I cleaned it I spray painted it. I have set it in 3 different places in my grassy area of the yard and I have yet, in one week, to see any birds drink or bathe in the birdbath. Could this possibly be because I spray painted the plastic? Thank you.

It is possible that, if the plastic is leached into the water due to the heating effect of the sun, that the birds are shunning it for that reason. Plastics are after all neurotoxic and cancer causing.

Additionally, maybe there are squirrels or other creatures using the bath, or otherwise harrassing the birds.

You could try to install a non painted bath to see if they are attracted more to it. In that case, your suspicion was correct.

Yes. It might have a texture, taste or smell they don't like.

Try another birdbath and see if there is a difference.