Black Bean Soup with Salsa
Black bean soup with red peppers and onions, garnished with yogurt, onion and cilantro.
- 3 15 oz cans black beans, undrained
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 16 oz jar of any salsa
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 - 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- optional chopped red onion
- optional chopped fresh cilantro
- Put black beans and liquid and the chicken broth in a blender, food processor or use a hand blender and blend until smooth.
- In a large saucepan heat the vegetable oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion and garlic to hot oil and cook until onion is tender.
- Put the bean mixture into the saucepan along with the salsa, lime juice. cumin and red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Serve in bowls drizzled with the yogurt. Garnish with onion and fresh cilantro if desired.
- Makes 8 servings
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!