Blanching Vegetables in an Instant Pot

I got a food dehydrator for Christmas and have been experimenting with it recently. I was doing some research on blanching and if it is necessary. It sounds like it is very necessary for some vegetables, like potatoes and tomatoes and less so for others, like zucchini or onions. Like freezing, if you don't blanch before processing, enzymes, bacteria and other unwanted substances can remain in your dried food. This can reduce the nutritional content or even cause the food to spoil. So, I'll choose to blanch some veggies before drying.

Water blanching, which is what I usually do with tomatoes, is not recommended for dehydrating. They recommend steam or microwave. I recently got an Instant Pot pressure cooker with a steamer basket. It seems like the perfect solution for blanching. Online, they recommend cooking for one minute at the highest pressure for vegetables. But that is for full cooking, not just for blanching.

Any recommendations on what to set my Instant Pot to in order to blanch vegetables like potatoes, tomatoes and carrots?

Thanks!

Best Answer

You can steam the tomatoes for 0 minutes and then do a natural release. The skins will slip off

Thanks! What do you think about harder root vegetables, like carrots or potatoes? The same? And would I add in 1 cup of water?

I know you must have 1 cup of liquid in the bottom or it cannot come to pressure. I have been looking up and can't find anything other than the tomatoes. I belong to the Instant Pot Community on Facebook and posed the question there and got no response.

It would be great to use it for blanching in the summer because the IP won't heat up the kitchen. I will keep looking and try to have more information.

Great, thanks! I'm going to experiment with potatoes and carrots using the same setting as you gave for tomatoes and see if that does the trick.

How did that work?? I was hoping to do some sweet potato chips in the dehydrator, and was wondering about blanching in my instant pot

I haven't tried it yet. I dried garlic for an entire week and haven't started a new batch of anything. I'm waiting for veggies to come into season. I will certainly let you know when the time comes.

Let us know how your sweet potatoes turn out.

Hi! I'm dying to know how the sweet potato chips turned out!?

Anonymous

Well, just tried blanching carrot rounds 1/4-1/2" slices for 1 min. All were completely cooked, some too much. Would think 0 min might work.

I just did yellow green beans we bought at a Farmer's market on Saturday and snapped the same day but stored in baggies in the frigerator for 3 days. I washed the beans, put a cup of water and steamed them in a steamer basket in my Instant Pot on high pressure for 0 minutes and let pressure release after 10 minutes which cooked them. So my second batch doing all the same things above except releasing them immediately after IP beeped, has the beans on the crispy side.

After they cool, I am going to bag them in freezer bags and freeze for a few days and then try thawing them and cooking them again in IP for either "0" time and release after 10 minutes or "1" minute cook time and releasing immediately after it beeps - I will let you know how it goes as I have 2 batches to experiment with besides the cooked batch.

How did the green beans turn out that you prepped by blanching in the IP? Im eager to do mine this way!