Blue Flew and the Bottle Top Kids!!

Raise your hands if you sang "the lollipop kids" in a Munchkin voice!

Okay, so today I have something for the old and the young.

A message tag on the door tells other of your home situation. I got the idea from a gal who lives in an assisted living community.

A bottle topper tells which drink belongs to who? Hope you like it!

Total Time: 2 hours

Yield: 3

Source: On line and an assisted living center near me.

1. In a friend's assisted living home, the building is secure and the entrances to the apts. are inside. Each resident has a crocheted, knitted, plastic canvas, felt or foam "sign" that hangs on the door. If it's blue they "flew" or have left their apt. If it's red they are in "bed". And if it's not there, they are home. I thought this was such a cute idea, I decided to make one and share for anyone whose family member might want to tell others what their daily situation is.
  2. Advertisement

3. For the base chain, I made 10 and used the linen (or moss stitch). I made a single crochet in the first chain and skipped one/chained one, making a single crochet in the next stitch across.
  4. At the end, chain 1 and turn, repeating this row till you have 16 rows.
  5. Then, change to the other color. Continue for another 16 rows and leave a 2' long tail.
  6. When you have the tail, thread the needle and begin a running stitch across the top and down one side. Thread the tail through the bottom, or simply put the needle in the other side through the middle. Sew up the other side.
  7. Advertisement

8. NOTE: I hate whip stitching when you can see the opposite color. This running stitch didn't turn out the way I had wanted either, so you can glue it if you want.
  9. Remember when your mom said "do as I say, not as I do". Well don't do that now. When I made the last row on the second color, I should have made the 24 chain loop, then broke it off then. As it is, I inserted my hook and chained 24 and then slip stitched a couple stitches away. That left me with two tails, which I clipped too short. That meant I had to glue on two buttons.
  10. For the Bottle Top Kids I saw something on line, but cannot for the life of me find it now. A mom (who else) got tired of the kids trying to figure out what which water bottle was which. So she made a different colored piece for each one. I crocheted a chain of 12 and made the same linen (moss) stitch, but only to make a square. Then did the same thing with the other color.
  11. Advertisement

12. When the green was done, I bordered it with the purple, and then bordered the purple one with green. As I got the the corner and was almost ready to join, I chained 16 to slip over the bottle neck, and then joined with a slip stitch and cut the ends, weaving them in. You might think the bottle isn't the right size and you would be right. You can make this smaller if you want, and customize the loop to better fit the bottle you are using. N-JOY!!

Crafts Crochet IdeasMarch 30, 2020
👒
🌻
😷
👔
🐛

Generated 2020-04-19 10:22:34 in 992 msecs. ⛅️️ ⚡️

IdeasCrochet