Bombay Breed Information and Photos

Category Cat Breeds
These beautiful black cats, with their distinctive copper eyes, are intelligent, affectionate cats who are a good choice for most families, including those with children. This is a guide about Bombay breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The Bombay is a jet-black cat with a shiny, glassy coat, and eyes that range from gold to copper. They carry Burmese blood and are similar in confirmation, although their head tends to have a slightly more rounded shape. The Bombay is less popular in Europe than in the United States and not as widely bred as some of the other breeds.

History & Origin: This breed started when American Burmese cat breeder, Niki Horner, set out to create a mini black panther. In 1953, she bred a black American Shorthair to a sable colored Burmese. Years of careful breeding produced the Bombay we see today.

Character & Temperament: Because of their Burmese heritage, Bombays exhibit a similar temperament. They are quiet by nature, but are happiest when in the company of their family and do not like to separated from them for long periods of time. They generally get along well with other cats and dogs and are patient with children. Playful and affectionate, this breed has a quiet, pleasant voice, although they are seldom very vocal.

Color: Bombays are jet-black to the roots. A kitten's coat may be initially lighter, but should darker with age.

Coat Type: Shorthair; Bombay's coats have a satin-like texture and a high, glossy sheen.

Grooming: They are easy to care for and require very little grooming. Stroking the cat regularly will keep its jet-black coat shiny and glossy. Claws should be trimmed and ears cleaned only when necessary.

Health Considerations: This is basically a healthy breed, but can carry some genetic defects similar to those found in their Burmese heritage. Some lines can be susceptible to heart, skull and spinal defects. Bombays can also be prone to tearing of the eyes.

Trivia: Because of its glossy coat and coppery eyes, Bombays have been referred to as 'the patent-leather kid with the new penny eyes. Bombays are bred with one another and also with Burmese.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Amos was a 14 year old Bombay. Amos was a rescue, he wandered into my store one chilly day, scared and very hungry. I soon found out he was a beloved pet of an older lady who passed on and her family threw him out in the cold.

Amos was a very fat and happy black kitty who enjoyed snuggling right up to you and wrapping his paws around your neck. He also liked sleeping in the planter shown in the picture that was secured to the front of our deck. His nickname became the "PlanterPuss".

He was an oversized ball of love that charmed many a person who came in contact with him. Our Amos passed away just last Friday (September 16th) and has left a big void in our family. We will always miss our big snuggle buddy and just wanted to share him with others. We know he is charming the angels in heaven right now.

By javamom77

Comment Like this photo? 14

Amanda is a 2 year old Black Bombay shorthair female cat. I adopted her from the Humane Society in April, 2010.

She likes to play "dead", where she follows you around then plops on the floor and stretches out for you to pet her. Likes to jump in your lap, sleeps on beds and top of couch and has a favorite chair to sleep in and will make you leave if you are sitting in "her" chair.

She also likes to "fetch" like a dog. If you throw a wadded up piece of paper on the window sill she will go get it and bring it back for you to throw it again.

She is very cuddly and full of energy and like to sit by the window and watch the birds, squirrels, and chipmunks outside.

By Linda

Amanda (Bombay)

Comment Like this photo? 12

Luna is a 10 month old Bombay kitten. I adopted her in October of 2010. She loves to play with silver tinsel balls and will retrieve the balls when they are thrown. She loves to watch the hummers in the window and follows me around the house when I do housework. She is never far from me! She also talks to me all the time. I just wish I could figure out what she is trying to tell me. I swear sometimes she is calling MaMa!

By Linda

Luna (Bombay Kitten)

Comment Like this photo? 17

Tabitha is a 2 year old Bombay, I believe. My cousin found her while on vacation, she was just a kitten and skinny as a rail. They fed her and brought her with them when they came back home. I got her after her father wouldn't let her keep another cat in the house. She loves to sit on the tallest furniture and likes to crouch down and attack our dog when he's not paying attention.

By Katrina from Baltimore, MD

Tabitha (Bombay)

Comment Like this photo? 14

Your Pet's Age
Three

Your Pet's Breed
Bombay

How and when did you get your pet?
I foster kittens (and moms) from the Wisconsin Humane Society. She and her siblings were feral, but I guess, she made the decision to want to be domesticated, plus she is growing out of her "kittenhood". She loves me but does have a little temper.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
She fetches. All you have to do is open a wrapper and, no matter where she is in the house, she comes running.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
To help keep her temper down, I use Feliway. I recommend it highly.

Comment Like this photo? 4