Bread MachineBreads

Bread Machine Bread Hard and Dense

How can I make my bread softer and less dense in my bread maker?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

I also like a softer bread, but like the convenience of my breadmaker. It saves time in the preparation of the dough , especially the kneading. So I set my bread maker on the dough cycle, and when it is finished, remove the dough, form into a loaf, place it into a bread pan, let it rise until double ( an inch or so above the top of the pan) then bake in your oven at 375º for about 40 minutes or until golden brown on the top. Remove from pan, spread a little butter over the top of the loaf, and wrap the loaf in a kitchen towel until cool.
Harlean from Arkansas

My bread machine has a selection of crust types. A dark crust will give you a harder loaf.

If you don't have this option, the suggestion to just use tne machine to make the dough is correct.

I use my bread maker for different types of bread but it seems that accurately measuring the flour helps as well as using bread flour instead of regular self-rising flour.
Here is a helpful note from a site I use:

The proper way to measure flour using measuring cups is to aerate it first. This is done either by sifting flour, or aerating it by fluffing it up and whisking it well, then spooning it into the measuring cup, then carefully removing any excess flour with a knife. If you just stick that measuring cup in the bag of flour and scoop some out, you will get a lot more flour than what the recipe calls for. Do aerate the flour, or you will end up with dry dough!

This link has some very good suggestions that may help with this problem so you can continue to use your bread machine as intended.

http://juliasal … -machine-recipe/