Plant HealthGardening

Brown Spot on the Base of Ripening Tomatoes

Category Plant Health

My tomatoes, as they ripen, acquire a black/brown area at the base. What is this? and how can I prevent it?

By John P

Best Answer

Its called Blossom End Rot. There are several causes for the disease, and it takes some experimentation to find the cure. In my case it was calcium deficiency. Most commonly its from irregular and or improper watering. To cure my occurrence, I simply added compost to correct ph issues, and planted each plant with some crushed egg shells, which gave a nice slow release calcium source. If PH is wrong, the plant can't take the calcium from the soil, even if its there.

So back to the basics for disease control. Good soil, regular watering and maintenance. Good gardening practices.

Best Answer

It does sound like blossom end rot. I've had trouble with this condition in the past. My roma tomatoes were especially susceptible. At planting time, I mix dolomitic lime with the soil. Since doing this, I don't have nearly as much trouble with blossom end rot.

Blossom end rot and it's caused by a calcium deficiency. You can buy stuff but a cheap and easy way to prevent it is to put a handful of crushed eggshells in the hole before you plant the tomato. The calcium feeds the plant all season and it doesn't cost a penny.