Bukayo (Filipino Coconut Candy)
They say coconut is the tree of life. The trunk can be made into a house or furniture, the leaves can be made into a roof or broom, the juice as medicinal water and the meat into different desserts. Here is one most common young coconut meat recipe that we cook and pair with bread, it's popular name is "bukayo".
- 2 cups young coconut meat
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4-6 Tbsp water
- Cook coconut meat over medium heat.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar and stir until it melts.
- Add a very small amount of water about 4-6 tablespoons. Not too much because the meat will release its water as it cooks.
- Continue to stir the mixture as it simmers, and until the water is starting to reduce.
- Add the remaining sugar, if necessary. Taste the mixture and if you think it's too sweet, then 1/2 cup would just be enough.
- Cook until it turns very thick.
- Serve hot or cold. Best paired with bread.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!