Burnt Stainless Steel Pan

I was making plum jam. I thought I turned the pot off, but I turned it to low. I was gone too long and my new 18 qt. All-clad pot is burnt. I am boiling with salted water now. Any pointers would be great. I am so bummed.

By Jasmine from ID

Answers:

Burnt Stainless Steel Pan

Maybe try baking soda water? (08/15/2010)

By nursehageman

Burnt Stainless Steel Pan

I find that using a Bio washing powder works on most food, as it is designed to digest foods. I expect you would need to cook up a solution in the pan and let it boil away then leave to cool and hopefully you should have a clean pan. It's best if you can leave it overnight. Good luck. Hope the jam was good! (08/17/2010)

By Kentishmaid

Burnt Stainless Steel Pan

My sister-in-law was head cook for a major company in the Seattle, Washington area for many years. She told me to cover the burn area with simmering water with baking soda added. I have used it successfully several times. She did not give me any exact proportions, so I just add a little at a time (which usually bubbles up). I wait until it settles down and then add a little more, all depending on the size of the pan. (08/17/2010)

By Kathryen

Burnt Stainless Steel Pan

Try Easy-Off oven cleaner. (08/18/2010)

By Ann Parker

Burnt Stainless Steel Pan

Try placing a Bounce or other fabric softener sheet in the pot filled with water. Place on stove and heat the water to boiling. Shut off the heat and let it sit a couple of hours or overnight. Then use the softener sheet to wash the burnt pieces away. Wash and rinse well. I have used this method successfully a number of times and have saved expensive and not so expensive pots from being thrown out. Good Luck!

Laurie (08/18/2010)

By FoyCat

Burnt Stainless Steel Pan

Barkeeper's Friend works wonders. (08/18/2010)

By Noella

Burnt Stainless Steel Pan

Salt is not likely to do anything. I use baking soda, like 1/2 to 1 cup for a big pot, water, boil for a half hour or so, and let soak. This works reasonably well, but you often need to do a couple of times, and still need a lot of elbow grease. Give those dryer sheets a try, as others have suggested. (08/18/2010)

By louel53