Butter Pecan Ice Cream

This is lower sugar and very rich butter pecan ice cream using the traditional 'custard' method. I only used 1/2 the sugar called in the recipe (which I will indicate in my instructions) and use pure heavy cream (versus half and half as it is here).

This is lower sugar but definitely not low calorie! And it may not be sweet enough for most palates (I made it this way under special request). Feel free to double the sugar required, or to replace some of the heavy cream for half and half as shown in link

I also know that ice cream can be made without ice cream makers as I have done it before.

Source: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/21105/butter-pecan-ice-cream/

1. In small skillet over medium heat, cook pecans in the butter for about 3 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Set this aside.
  2. Advertisement

3. Whisk the eggs and set aside. Combine the brown sugar and 1 1/2 cups of cream (or half and half) in a saucepan.
  4. Make the custard. This can be a complicated procedure as it is very easy to get scrambled eggs! Combine cream and sugar and mix well.
  5. Bring mix to a boil over medium-high heat.
  6. Remove from heat, and gradually, while whisking the whole time, pour the hot mixture into the eggs. This is one place where the recipe can fail; if you pour the hot stuff in there too quickly, the eggs will scramble and it will be ruined. So take your time.
  7. Advertisement

8. Return the custard to the saucepan and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture coats the back of a spoon. This is the instructions ice cream recipes always state, but I have had the experience of doing that when it was still fairly liquid, and having it not set. So I like to make it thicker (like a reduction) and then it's ready. You must be careful to immediately REMOVE FROM HEAT when it thickens or else you will, once again, end up with scrambled eggs. This is the second place where you could ruin it.
  9. Remove from heat and stir in cream, chocolate, and pecans. Also add last 1/2 cup of cream (if you used half and half in previous step, recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups half and half and 1/2 cup cream. You use the half and half in the previous step, and heavy cream in this step).
  10. Advertisement

11. Put in the ice cream maker. If you don't have an ice cream maker, put the whole thing in the freezer, take it out of the freezer every 20 minutes or so, as it begins to crystallize, and stir it like crazy. Do this every 20 minutes for a few hours until it begins to freeze in the right consistency.

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Desserts Ice CreamJune 17, 2020
🐛
🌻
😎
🎆
😷

Ice CreamDesserts