Buying Second Hand Clothing

Category Clothing
A lot of money can be saved when you purchase used clothing, but there are a few things you need to know. This guide is about buying second hand clothing.

The best way to buy clothing is to buy them second-hand. A lot of people will not shop second-hand because they prefer their clothing brand new, but guess what? Once you've worn your new outfit once or twice it is now used! Since I've come to that realization it's been a lot easier for me to shop at second-hand clothing stores. And the money saved can be phenomenal.

By Wanda from Winnipeg, Manitoba

Sizes don't matter in clothing - just the fit. So learn to develop a sense of your size no matter what the size markings are.

Very often things end up in thrift shops because they were originally mismarked. (And a shoe that's marked, say, size 9, is actually more an 8.) And imported Asian sizes are generally smaller than U.S. sizes.

By Pam from L.A., CA

I have not purchased clothing in a store in years. I shop online and that is good. I am home so much I only had two pairs of jeans. I decided to go shopping at the thrift store.

I bought these for $4 each. I thought that was a bargain. What is the most you will pay for second hand jeans?

Answers

$4 each is a great price. I never purchased pre-loved jeans before. Only because, I know I could buy new jeans at the department stores with designer brands $10 - 25 bucks new, originally $50-100

Where I do pants are $3

That is a good price for jeans, on certain days at thrift stores you can get them buy one get one free as they like to have a big turn-over.

That's a fantastic price. Where I live, second-hand jeans start at $8

That is an awesome price! Where I live they start at $6.00. I like to buy them used when I need jeans for doing dirty jobs around the house and the garden, for chores when I need something comfortable and when I want to do my own DIY jean shorts without ruining a brand new pair trying to get them cut evenly.

I always find nice pairs at the thrift store with lots of useful life still in them.

You got a great deal at 4 dollars there usually 8 bucks.

yes that was very nice. i like that

When buying second-hand, non-washable clothes, is there a way to refresh them so they smell like new? Is there a product or procedure that won't hurt the clothing in any way?

By Susan Wolfe from Clinton, TN

Answers

The following product might remove the odors in the clothing. It's worth it to give it a try.

http://www.ehow  own-clothes.html

I usually hang them out in the fresh air for a day, or put something like a Bounce dryer cloth in with the clothes and put it on air dry and that seems to work. Good luck!

Wash in Zote soap bar or any laundry bar soap flakes with a 1/2 cup of Borateem borax from the detergent aisle and a cup of baking soda. Baking soda is excellent for removing odors from sweat, body odor and many other sources. You can hand wash difficult to clean or soiled items soaking them a couple of hours to get them really clean. Rinse them in the rinse water with a cup of vinegar and hang in the air to dry or throw in a softener sheet store bought or homemade.

I would try putting them in an open plastic bag in the freezer overnight 1st and smell. Repeat if needed. They say put smelly shoes in the freezer overnight!

If I have something that doesn't smell right for whatever reason, I put it in the dryer with a dryer sheet or a washcloth soaked in white vinegar. Dustmites hate vinegar so this might be the betterchoice if your garment has been hanging for a long time.