Buying Seeds

Category Seeds
Getting the right seeds for your location will help you have success with your gardening. This guide is about buying seeds.

Gardening is not an exact science and can be very complicated. Misinformation passed along from generation to generation only adds to the complication. Most people are content to plant a packet of straight neck yellow squash, follow packet instructions, and hope for the best. This is good.

The snow and ice are still thick on the ground in my area, but it's time to plan my spring garden. I know that a lot of people are doing the same thing. Planning the garden is almost as much fun as harvesting it! I can't wait to look out my door and see the first crops of peas, greens, lettuces, and broccoli.

If you are planning your garden, there is a really easy way to shop from over 150 on-line catalogs at once - go to Mother Earth. Mother Earth Magazine, that is. Go to:

At the top of the page, you will find their search bar. Type in "seed finder". There you should be able to find just about any seed, start, plant, etc, that you can think of, and lots more.

This is also a good website for finding information on green living, doing it yourself, and a multitude of other topics. When I went on today, they had a nice article about making crackers that I will be trying out tomorrow. And give their articles on making artisan bread in 5 minutes a day a look - they're awesome.

Source: My favorite, Mother Earth News magazine

By Free2B from North Royalton, OH

This is a link to an article from Mother Earth News, my favorite magazine, and an excellent web site. It is a list of some of the very best veggie seed companies. You can send for free (usually) catalogs, or look at the on-line catalogs.

Some of these catalogs are just beautiful, or have a LOT of good information about gardening. Most have the good, old-fashioned, heirloom seeds. These produce veggies that are more flavorful and, sometimes, have been forgotten by most people - veggies like black tomatoes and purple carrots.

If you have never tasted a black tomato, you are really missing out. They are so flavorful it is amazing!

Source:

By Free2B from North Royalton, OH

Spring planting has a way of sneaking up on you when you least expect it. Shopping for seeds in mid-winter a great way to spend the day, and gives you plenty of time to sort out the details of the next growing season.

Whether you buy seeds from a catalog or purchase them from a store, understanding seed terms will help you make more informed decisions when buying garden seeds.

This year for my garden I decided to save some money buying seeds. What I did was go to eBbay, find a seller that had a large supply of seeds, and who offered free shipping on every order after the first is placed.

I have been trying to find "Bear Britches" seeds. Has anyone seen any places to buy them?

By carole from MI

Answers

Go to the swap flower seed on this site, may somebody will have some, good luck.

I grow them, but I'm not sure how to collect the seeds. I could try to save you some. contact me at cheesyflasouvenir AT yahoo.com

Could someone tell me what the heck are Bear Britches?!

Q: I am looking for a place that sells brown turkey fig seeds or other types of fig seeds (fruit bearing). I would also like to find a source for grancy grey beard tree seeds.

Thanks!
kmcl59 from Pensacola, FL

A: kmc159,

Most figs rarely produce viable seeds, so you're usually better off looking for cuttings or second year trees. Many nurseries selling fig trees are either done shipping for the season, or they are already sold out. Try Jenè's Tropicals in St. Petersburg, FL., (www.tropicalfruits.com). Click on the link for Tropical Fruits or call: 727-344-1668. They sell Brown Turkey Fig trees in 3-gallon pots and ship worldwide. If that doesn't work out for you, I would try and find someone in the neighborhood that would give you a cutting or try to get on a local nursery's list for next year. When searching for Grancy Grey Beard tree seeds, you may also find them listed as White Fringe tree or Old Man's Beard. The seeds form on blue clusters in the fall (male trees produce more flowers and are more fragrant). Try Treehelp.com (www.treehelp.com). Click on the link for the TreeHelp Store and then the Seeds link. The Grancy seeds are listed under Old Man's Beard or Fringe Tree.

Ellen

Answers

By thrifty 50 (Guest Post)

It talkes a long time to get figs from a small 2 foot tree. I think this is one area you need to break down and buy a young tree