Can I Machine Wash Dry Clean Only Draperies?

Dry cleaning drapes can be quite expensive tempting you to consider machine washing them. This is a guide about, "Can I machine wash dry clean only draperies?".

Would it be safe to machine wash heavy draperies - no fabric content is listed, however I believe it is Rayon. It also states dry clean only.

Alesha from Neosho, MO

Best Answer

I have washed drapes that were dry-clean only with good success, but you never know how it will turn out. It is a gamble. If you do, use cold water and a mild detergent with a gentle cycle, and hang or lay flat to dry. Is there a piece you could experiment with? I had valances that I hated that I used as a test. If these are very expensive and relatively new drapes, I would have them dry cleaned. If they are not, go for it.

I can't see why you couldn't providing that you wash them on a gentle cycle, no bleach using a mild detergent.

Marge from NY

By Kate. (Guest Post)

Rayon is often dry cleaned because it can become unstable when wet and can stretch or shrink and lose shape. You may want to try something like dryell instead if you want to clean them at home.

I machine-washed heavy draperies years ago and they shrank about 4 inches in length. I don't recall the fabric content. If they're expensive and/or custom-made, I'd have them dry-cleaned.