Candy Cane Chocolate Chip Cookies

My husband suggested these when I asked for favorite Christmas cookies from years past. His mother would make these often. They are festive with the flecks of white and red peppermint candy.

These cookies are basically a classic chocolate chip cookie recipe with crushed peppermint candy cane added. I reduced the sugar slightly to compensate for the candy cane's sugar. I also used mini chocolate chips instead of regular ones, to spread out the chocolate flavor.

Source: Inspired by my mother-in-law, Nancy and the Tollhouse chocolate chip cookies recipe.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place candy canes in a ziptop bag and hit it a few times with a meat tenderizer (flat side) or hammer. The candy cane will soften when baked, so the size of the final crushed pieces doesn't matter too much.
  2. Mix flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside
  3. Cream butter and sugar together, add in vanilla extract and then eggs, mixing well at each step. Add in flour mixture slowly so it is entirely incorporated.
  4. Stir in chocolate chips and crushed candy cane until it is fully mixed.
  5. Place spoonfuls of cookie dough on a cookie sheet, 12 -20 per sheet. I made some big and some little so I would have a variety of sizes. These spread and flatten when cooking, so be sure to leave space between.
  6. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown on the edges.
  7. Ad

8. Let cool a few minutes on the cookie sheet, them move them to a cooling rack. If they fall apart when moving, let them cool longer.

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Cookies Chocolate ChipDecember 24, 2013
🎂
📓
🌻