Candy Cane Chocolate Chip Cookies
Silver Post Medal for All Time! 267 Posts
My husband suggested these when I asked for favorite Christmas cookies from years past. His mother would make these often. They are festive with the flecks of white and red peppermint candy.
These cookies are basically a classic chocolate chip cookie recipe with crushed peppermint candy cane added. I reduced the sugar slightly to compensate for the candy cane's sugar. I also used mini chocolate chips instead of regular ones, to spread out the chocolate flavor.
Source: Inspired by my mother-in-law, Nancy and the Tollhouse chocolate chip cookies recipe.
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 package mini chocolate chips (12 oz.)
- 3 candy canes, peppermint flavor
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place candy canes in a ziptop bag and hit it a few times with a meat tenderizer (flat side) or hammer. The candy cane will soften when baked, so the size of the final crushed pieces doesn't matter too much.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside
- Cream butter and sugar together, add in vanilla extract and then eggs, mixing well at each step. Add in flour mixture slowly so it is entirely incorporated.
- Stir in chocolate chips and crushed candy cane until it is fully mixed.
- Place spoonfuls of cookie dough on a cookie sheet, 12 -20 per sheet. I made some big and some little so I would have a variety of sizes. These spread and flatten when cooking, so be sure to leave space between.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown on the edges.
- Let cool a few minutes on the cookie sheet, them move them to a cooling rack. If they fall apart when moving, let them cool longer.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.