Canning Chili

Category Soup
Chili is an excellent meal to make a large portion of. Preserve the spicy goodness of your chili to enjoy and share later by canning it. This is a guide about canning chili.

This summer I tried my hand at canning home made chili, using the recipe in my Ball Blue book. Before the actual canning process, the chili was tasty and good looking. After I got it out of the pressure cooker, it looked and tasted burnt. Our local extension agent is mystified. I did have to use the 15 lb pressure as we are slightly above the 1000 ft. sea level. Any ideas as to what went wrong?

By Carol from Viroqua, WI

Answers

Did you use a rack? I can see it burning if you had your jars resting on the bottom of the canner. Also, if you added sugar to your chili, it burns very easily.