Car Vent Only Blows Hot Air

I have a 1997 Ford Ranger and I can not change the temperature of the air coming out of the vents, it's always hot. The only time it changes is when I put it on max AC, then I get cold air out. Is there an easy way to tell if I have a vacuum hose off somewhere that is keeping the vent doors from opening and closing, or could it be an electrical problem?

Thank you.

Kevin from Cincinnati, OH

Answers:

Vent Only Blows Hot Air

It is probably just the switch. You can probably pick one of these up in a junk yard. If you can't put it on yourself, I'm not sure how much it would cost. (03/07/2007)

By Kathy

Vent Only Blows Hot Air

I guess I should have mentioned that I had the switch already checked out. I'm thinking it's a vacuum line or something. (03/07/2007)

By Kevin

Vent Only Blows Hot Air

I have the same problem. I found out that the damper door is broken on mine. The electric motor turns, but the door hinge is broken off. My friend is a certified Ford mechanic and he located the problem. He told me I had to roll out the dash to replace it. The electric motor that controls the ac/heat temperature switch connects to the damper door. I still haven't located the part anywhere yet. The Ford mechanic book indicates it is a 5 1/2 hour job. (10/01/2008)

By Scott