Caring for Your Pet Cat

Category Cats
Providing a safe environment and loving care for your kitty helps to ensure a rewarding relationship between you and your furry friend. This is a guide about caring for your pet cat.

My big cat Cornelius sleeps on my bed with me. Something happened in the last three months that made him bite my foot. Now, we are not talking a little "love nibble" but a full on strike like a viper, fast and hard and painful. And, to confound me even more, it wasn't all the time. Very random.

Well, I was about to give up having him in my room, or kenneling him, when I came upon the reason.

His nose knew when I used a lemon based body lotion. I went to pet him the other day and his pupils dilated and he hissed and ran away. It reminded me that cats hate lemon and that every so often, I would put some on my dry feet.

Now that I switched the foot cream and wore socks, which helps the foot problem, I no longer have the cat problem. I am really glad too because my big old guy is great for knowing when I need some body heat and which joint needs it.

If you want to repel a cat in your flower bed, potted plants or more, put some dried lemon peel in it. You probably will never have this problem but it's nice if you do, you can remember this tip.

I learned this from my daughter's Head Start class many years ago. When they would meet in the morning, they would get out a bunch of clothespins with lunch items written on them. The children would put the clothespins with the food items they wanted on a piece of ribbon with their name on it. This way, each of the preschool aged children could have their own responsibility for picking out the items they wanted for lunch.

I adapted this to a roll-call method to make sure all my cats are indoors during the arctic vortex or any other kind of cold snap. I go through the house in every room looking to see who I see. The ones that are found are placed on the string in the photo and the ones that are not found are placed on a different string beside it. It has worked wonderfully for me with our four foster cats (who have special needs and will probably be permanent fosters, which means mine forever), plus we have zero rodent problems. LOL.