Caring for an Avocado Grown from a Pit

My avocado tree was about 16 inches at 2 months and it got damaged halfway up so I cut it off by a new growth just under were it was broken and it started growing an inch below the new growth and out the side instead. Now I'm afraid it will not bear weight well. What should I do?

Also, I plan to transfer it to a pot soon and would like to know I'd I should wait for a while.

Best Answer

I'm not really sure about this as you are growing a tree - not just a bush or garden plant.

• Do you really want to take a chance? I would suggest you transplant it to a pot and let it grow but this is still a young plant and avocado trees are slow growers so you may not know the answer for many years.
  • Why not start another tree? You had success with this one so why not start another one just in case there is a problem with this one later on? Room to plant two trees?
  • I have taken stretchy medical gauze and loosely wrapped a "joint" like this (or a broken stem) and the two eventually joined together and I believe it was stronger from then on (but I cannot say that for sure).
  • Here is an excellent article about avocado trees that are grown from a seed (from California - the king area of avocados).
  • www.californiaavocado.com/.../your-own-avocado-tree

I plan to grow another to help this one bare fruit and maybe many more to sell when they are bigger (4-5ft tall). I was considering trying to graft that broken part to the new one to see if it will make it more stable but wasn't sure if its possible. I'll give it a try and see. This tree is strong and refuses to die so it couldnt hurt. Either way i can grow more like you said.

Btw,
That website has some great info, thanks.

I would transfer it anyway. I dont think you did any harm

After posting my answer, I continued searching for a better answer and came across this article. If you follow the guidelines it seems your tree may be okay but they also recommend the wrapping (similar to what I suggested) for the tree to become "one".

Their example was not from a break but from pruning for a new limb. But there is a lot of information on how to grow from a seed.

www.wikihow.com/Grow-Avocados

Can you try a tomato stake or even an old broom handle to help steady it until it grows stronger and thicker and bear its own weight? I use old stockings (knee highs) to tie up my plants that need help standing. The material stretches with them and is durable. I feel I have saved a number of plants this way.

Thanks, I'll definitely do this.

I have saved many a tomato plant, sunflower, and my rose of Sharon with this method. Keep us posted on your plant's progress!