Cat Peeing Outside Litter Box

We let our cat go out into the garage (I think she thinks she's going outside). We live where there are a lot of coyotes so I never allow her to go into the "real" outside. Unfortunately, she started using the cement floor of the garage instead of her litter-box (I made one available for her there). Now when she is inside (which is most of the time), she is using our tile floors instead of her litter box. What can I do? Can she be re-trained to use her litter box again? And is there a good way to get rid of the urine smell out of my tile?

By Patty

Often this is an indication of a common medical problem in cats such as crystals in the urine. It is easily diagnosed and remedied but you need to have the cat examined by your vet. The office visit and medication will be far less expensive in the long run than all the cleaning products for your carpets!

Cats will seek a cool place to urinate when they have crystals or a bladder infection. they will often use a sink or bathtub. But tile and cement would clearly fill the bill. Be sure and have your cat checked out right away. both conditions are very painful.

I think solving the physical problem will stop the inappropriate urination. Try Natures Miracle enzyme soak from the pet store for odor on your tile. It is a life saver. They sell it by the quart and gallon. I havent needed the gallon yet :) Good luck with your baby.