CatsPets

Cat Won't Eat Pet Food

My kitty (Kiera) is about one year old and has been with me from about 5 weeks. When my granddaughter found her abandoned alone and crying in the woods I (wrongly) nursed her to health with a variety of people foods. Now she will eat nothing but real baked chicken. I tried all types of dry cat food even mixed it with chicken and or kitty treats. Nope, she'll scream and follow me for days till I must give in.

I live in a 2 room apt. and I can't get away from her so I go in the pouring rain to the store to buy her chicken, de-bone, de-skin, and cook it for her. Then she's back to her lovable sweet self. She's my baby, but I'm on a fixed income and I know she needs some food made for cats, but now I'm at my wits end. Any suggestions?

By Barbara P.

I hear your pain :) I am about to head out for the store for a fresh supply of chicken for my kitty who eats only food I prepare. He has a special diet because of his epilepsy. Cats can do very well without commercial cat food. Dr. Lisa Pierson at catinfo.org gives a great overview of cat nutrition. I use her recipe, which is a raw food recipe. But her recipe can be cooked if necessary.

I also use the feline vitamins from Only Natural Pets (online). I felt a bit nervous when I started feeding this way, but am completely over it now. My cat is bursting with health (other than epilepsy). Not all Vets will support you but they are becoming the majority as they see the successes. And dont throw away the chicken skin....cats need over 30% of their calories to come from fat. I have been feeding this way for 4 years now and would never go back. Good luck to you and Kiera