Cats and Separation Anxiety While on Vacation

I need advice. I have a cat that's been living with me since 2.5 years. I have to go on a trip for 2 weeks. And I am worried about it. My cat is an outdoor/indoor cat. Last time I had gone for a week for the first time leaving it behind with my other family members.

Now I am going for two whole weeks. And I am worried about it again. Although my other family members will be at home and it will be well fed as well. But I worry that it will be sad and depressed. I just hope it won't lessen it's health. Can I have some condolence from you guys :(

Animals dont have the memory of humans. If your cat is well fed and cared for, it will do just fine.

Cats can get down when their person is gone. I cat sit frequently and have seen my charges mope around until they get used to me. That others who are usually around are still going to be there should mitigate the situation as the cat won't be with strangers and will have familiar smells.

You may want to leave a tee shirt that you have worn for the cat to cuddle with. My favorite kitty I have sat many times loved it when his human mom did that. Relax and enjoy your trip! You can always call and coo into his ear via phone!

It sounds to me like your cat should do OK. In his normal surroundings with people he knows should take care of most of it. I have always felt cats do not have the same level of separation anxiety that dogs do. They handle our absences better. Maybe some special treats (my cats love the freeze dried salmon) to make sure he feels special. And dont laugh...I have talked to my cats on the phone and they got real excited. They talked back too.

I hope you have a successful trip and return to find a happy well adjusted cat.

Usually it is best if a "familiar" person can take care of a cat while the owner is away but some cats adjust to strangers after a short period of time.

Lots of loving attention on your return should take care of any lingering fears.