Chicken Tortilla Soup

I saw this on TV and had to make it at home. It's a healthy and hearty soup and it was so good.

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Combine cumin, 1 tsp. chili power, garlic powder, and salt in a small bowl.
  3. Drizzle chicken with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. of the spice mixture. Set the rest of the spice mixture aside. Bake until chicken is cooked through, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven, cut into cubes, and set aside.
  4. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, green and red peppers, and garlic. Add a tablespoon of the spice mixture and 1/4 tsp. chili powder. Saute' vegetables, stirring, until they begin to turn golden brown, about 5 minutes.
  5. Add chicken, diced tomatoes and juice, chicken broth, hot water, and tomato paste. Stir to combine and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and add black beans.
  6. Mix cornmeal with 1/2 cup of the soup broth. Add the mixture to the pot and simmer the soup for 10-15 minutes. Add salt and seasonings to taste.
  7. Cut the tortillas into 2-3 inch strips. Place several tortlilla strips in the bottom of your serving bowls and top with soup.
  8. Top with desired extra toppings and extra tortilla strips. Enjoy!

I have recipe that very much similar to yours and you are correct it is delicious. Your pictures of the soup is fabulous. However, I use Tortilla Chips instead and break them and add to top with garnishes. I do like the crunch of the chips.

Anonymous

I just ate some of this at a restaurant, but it was so salty. I even added sugar to it, but it did t help. It was really good, but too salty.

Food and Recipes Recipes International Mexican SoupNovember 7, 2014
🎉
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Chicken-Tortilla-Soup-1.html