Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas

Vote for this contest contender!

These enchiladas are really easy to make. They're so delicious with the oozing cheese and all the wonderful flavors inside them. They can be served with a side of rice, refried beans and cheese, or just by themselves.

Prep Time: About 45 min

Cook Time: 35-45 min.

Total Time: 80-90 minutes

1. First generously season your chicken pieces with a little bit of each of the listed spices.

Cook the chicken in a skillet with a few tablespoons of oil until done.

Remove chicken when done, and set aside on a plate.

Set your skillet aside with the chicken fat that you've cooked the chicken pieces in. You'll be using the skillet next with the fat and spices in it from your chicken.
  2. Chop your small onion, or equivalent to about 3/4 cup, more or less is okay too.
  3. Gently fry up your chopped onion in the same skillet you cooked your chicken with spices in. The spices will coat your onions as you cook them, and cook just until tender. When the onions are tender, set them aside in a separate bowl.
  4. Now drain and add 1/3 to 1/2 can of black beans to your cooked onions in the bowl and stir to coat everything. Then set that aside. No need to cook this.
  5. Pour your enchilada sauce in the same skillet you fried up your chicken and onions in. You can use two cans of Enchilada sauce (if you like saucy) or, you can use one can of Enchilada sauce and one can of tomato sauce. Add your spices to the enchilada sauce now and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
  6. Shred or cut up your chicken pieces and place in a bowl. Then set aside.
  7. Open your can of roasted diced green chilies. I put them in a small bowl as they're easier to spoon out, which this will be spooned into the tortillas soon.
    No need to drain these.
  8. Now you're going to take each tortilla, one at a time, and cook it in a tsp. of oil in a skillet just until it puffs up, then flip it over so the other side can get puffed and a bit golden browned. The tortilla will still be very pliable, which is what we want (don't fry until crisp).

We're only slightly frying the tort first (before rolling it up with the goodies in it) so when it cooks in the oven after they're all done, the torts won't be mushy.
  9. Now that your tortillas are lightly golden browned, and still pliable, stack them on a plate. You don't need to use a paper towel to soak up the oil/fat because that too helps them remain pliable for rolling.
  10. Spray or grease lightly your 13x9 inch baking dish.
  11. Next, spread some of the seasoned enchilada sauce into the bottom of your baking dish. Just a thin layer is fine.
  12. Now we're going to work on those tortillas and get them filled up. First spread about 1-2 Tbsp. of your Enchilada sauce in the tortilla.
  13. Now add a medium handful of the chicken.
  14. Next add some onion and black bean mixture. Then spoon over a little of the green chopped chilies.
  15. Top with a bit of grated cheese. You can alternate the cheddar inside or the jack inside. I used the Jack.
  16. Then sprinkle rolled enchiladas with grated cheddar cheese and jack cheese. Put as much or as little on top as you like.
  17. Now sprinkle sliced black olives all over the cheese.
  18. Now, it's time to roll em up! Mine is a bit lumpy, but that's okay, they're going into the baking dish all snugged together, side-by-side. Finish off your other tortillas now, and place them into your baking dish.
  19. Once you've got all your rolled tortillas in the baking dish, pour your remaining Enchilada sauce over the top of them all.
  20. Foil your baking dish now. I always spray Pam on the underside of foil when I'm baking anything with cheese so it doesn't stick.

Bake at 350F for 30-35 min in pre-heated oven. Then remove the foil and let bake another 5-10 min until cheese gets a bit golden.
  21. Sprinkle a little fresh cilantro (optional) on top, and a side of something like refried beans with cheese or Spanish rice, and you're good to go! :) Enjoy

Suz, that looks so yummy! I will have to try it your way. I always order enchiladas when at restaurants, and at home I only make them "my way" which is kind of a weirdo way ;) Oh, my friend who I want to make your shells with is finally free to cook with me! Guess what we're doing this weekend?!

Thank you so much Attosa :)

When I make enchiladas, the chicken ones, I use these ingredients, but when I make shredded beef enchiladas, the
ingredients are a bit different.

Maybe one day you can show me how you make yours? You're
such an excellent "chef" that I'm curious.

And I am very excited you're going to be making the stuffed shells! :) That tickles me, hehe
I know you and your friend will have a fun time making them, and I do think you'll enjoy them a lot.

Thank you again :) :) :)

Yummy!!! Do you ever make green enchiladas? I submitted my weirdo style of enchiladas here and hopefully it will go up soon for you. I have a feeling you might like it! It's a lot easier and cheesier, I'll put it that way! :)

Attosa, you're so funny:) I know there can't be anything weirdo about your enchiladas, and I am seriously looking forward to see how you make the green enchiladas.

That's something I have never made, isn't that funny - and I don't know why because I love the green ones too.

I've only made beef or chicken 'using the red sauces', so believe me, to have my hands on the "green style enchiladas" ohhhh now to me, that's going to be heaven sent! Thank you! :)

Try it so I can learn from you!!! Hahahaha! Hugs!

Attosa, you're so funny :)