Child Support and Disability?

If my child receives a disability check, but I get child support from his father how much does the state take from the child support since he gets the disability?


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 140 Posts
September 13, 20190 found this helpful

You will have to contact your state on that,there are variables sometimes.


Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks
September 13, 20191 found this helpful

There are too many variables for someone to try and answer your question.
But I will say; The 'state' will not 'take' anything from the child support paid by his father but the father, with an attorney, can take the matter to court and can ask for a review of the support the child may need and the state may allow a reduction in the amount he has to pay each month.


Most of the time this involves what is stated in the divorce agreement, the father's total monthly income, the father's health, special needs for the child, increases or decreases in what the child needs as well as the type of disability the child is receiving.
You can see that all of this will have to be settled through a court review but you may be able to find some information through the agency that handles the disability benefit.
If the disability is through the Social Security Administration then you can pay a visit to their office and ask your questions.


Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts
September 13, 20190 found this helpful

Every case is different. Make an appointment with Social Security and bring any documentation to support your case.


Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 196 Feedbacks
September 15, 20190 found this helpful

Cybergrannie has the best answer for you and all are right that your questions are much to complex and important to be handled by people who know nothing of your situation. Every state and every situation is going to be different.


We want you to get the best info possible from the best sources so you and your child are protected.

If you need to contact the Social Security Administration here is their number 1 (800) 772-1213

If you no longer have a lawyer (because you will probably need one at some point in this process), I suggest that you find your local state government representative and ask his or her staff to help you find a legitimate legal aid service in your town.

I found my state rep by putting in my town name and the phrase state representative into Google. Most state reps have multiple offices so find the one closest to you and call and schedule some time to talk to them. These services are free (paid by tax dollars) so please use them!

While you are there ask to make sure your child has the right health insurance services (like Medical Assistance or SCHIP) or if you have your own insurance through your job and your child needs additional services (called wrap around services) that you can apply for those through Medical Assistance if your state has that option.


You say your child has a disability. If you need additional support for your child (not necessarily financial, but things like private duty nursing or help to build ramps or other needs to make the home more conducive to the child) you can see if there is a private organizations (associations/foundations) that can if your child has Epilepsy or Muscular Dystrophy or Autism etc. Each of these groups has their own services and offerings.

Post back what you learn. You and your family will be in my prayers that you can find solutions.


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Business and Legal Legal Child SupportSeptember 13, 2019
Valentine's Ideas!
St. Patrick's Ideas!
Birthday Ideas!
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2024-02-11 02:18:19 in 3 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2024 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.