Child Support and SS

I have been divorced for many years now. My ex and I share a house because neither of us can afford to move out or sell and divide. It is temporary till the kids grow up. However, he gets SS and so do our kids since they are not 18 yet. He opened SS accounts for them with his name on the accounts. We agreed it will be their college tuition.

However, recently I found out he was dipping his fingers in their accounts. I work and pay for most everything and everything for the kids, because he cries that 1000 a month of SS not enough. He never paid court appointed child support. What can I do to transfer those accounts on my name so he can't live off of me and spend the kids money?

By Nel

Set up appointments and talk to you local Child Support Office and you local Social Security Office. With $1,000 a month tax free income you husband has more than enough to afford his own little apartment. Even if you would have to drastically down size and lower the way you live you should be living without your husband in the same house. If your husband isn't paying child support and never has what ever benefits the kids get should be counted as child support (my opinion). You have been too easy on him if you let him get by not paying child support, but then on the other hand the fact that you both live in the same house could change that.

This account should have been set up in both names if it was to be used as a college fund, but now?

Child support and Social Security (as stated by previous responder) should be able to help for future funds, but may not be able to help with what is missing.

It appears that you have been very forgiving on many accounts so maybe it is time to "toughen-up" and go for living "alone"?