Child Support and Social Security Benefits?

I just found out who my 23 year old son's father is, but he's deceased. Are we entitled to back child support or Social Security benefits? If so what documents will I need for verification?


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts
October 20, 20170 found this helpful

Each case is different. It depends on how long he worked and how much he made. Make an appointment with Social Security. Bring the father's death certificate and your child's birth certificate. I would also bring any proof that he is the father of your child.


Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 105 Posts
October 20, 20170 found this helpful

If I am reading this correctly, it says you have just found out who your son's father is. Here are a few facts that might help you determine if SSN will pay you anything for your son. You will need the answers to a few of these questions before you make an appointment to talk with someone.


  1. Was your son's father aware that he had a child?
  2. Did you put his name on the child's birth certificate?
  3. Were you living together at the time your son was born?
  4. Did he ever help support your son?
  5. Did he ever claim your son on his tax returns?
  6. Did he have an insurance policy with your son's name on it?
  7. Did he ever help support his son?
  8. Did he ever visit his son?
  9. Did his son stay with him on weekends or long holidays?
  10. Can you talk to the parent's of your son's father and see if they can help you acquire anything of his like a hair sample or an old toothbrush? With this you can do a DNA test to prove that he was actually the boy's dad.
  11. Before making an appointment with Social Security you will need to have proof that your son was actually his child.
  12. Advertisement

  13. I would suggest that you talk with your son's father's parents and see if they can help you out.
  14. Do they even know they have a grandson?
  15. Your son is now 23 and I am wondering if you had an order from the court for his father to pay you child support?
  16. Maybe with this and some other proof you can see if SSN will give you some money for back child support payment.
  17. I wish you luck and hope you can get some back child support to help your son finish college.

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks
October 22, 20170 found this helpful

Each case with Social Security is different so it is always a good idea to pay a visit to the SS office for the most accurate and up to date answers.


  • Survisor's benefits are to help a child through their early years and through their high school years.
  • It is for this reason a survior's benefit will be paid until a child reaches 19 years of age or graduates from high school; whichever comes first.
  • Their is no provision to pay any benefits after 19 years of age unless the child was determined to be disabled before they reach 22 years of age.
  • I do not believe your son will be entitled to any payment from his father's SS record.
  • Also, since you and his father were never married, you will not be entitled to collect from his record when you reach retirement age.
  • Any back support died with his father.

Again, please take your questions to the SS office and if you need documents, they will tell you exactly what to bring on your next visit.


Silver Post Medal for All Time! 433 Posts
October 22, 20170 found this helpful

Unless your son is in school or is disabled he is probably not entitled.Here is a phone number to SSI 1-800-772-1213 .Here is another link to SSI it will have all the information you will


Bronze Tip Medal for All Time! 64 Tips
October 23, 20170 found this helpful

Did I read right that u just found out who your sons father is? You didnt know until now? How do u know definitively that this person was your sons father?


All questions you will be asked by SS

October 23, 20170 found this helpful

I was just at the Social Security office today. I read that you have to be married for at least 10 years for you to claim any benefits no matter how long ago it was. Hope that helps

October 30, 20170 found this helpful

He may be eligible for survivor benefits through Social Security, the best way to know would be to apply or talk with a representative.


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Business and Legal Legal Child SupportOctober 20, 2017
Mother's Day Ideas!
Easter Ideas!
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2024-03-24 19:17:49 in 2 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2024 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.