Chili Verde Con Carne
This crockpot recipe for chili verde con carne, using cubed sirloin, is easy to make and so delicious.
- 3 lb chuck roast, cubed
- 1 lb Anaheim chiles
- 1/2 lb poblano chiles
- 2 jalapeno chiles
- 1/2 lb tomatillos, remove husks and cube
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 2 Tbsp masa harina
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- sour cream
- warm tortillas
- tortilla chips
- Place Anaheim, poblano, and jalapeno chiles on a baking sheet, roast under the broiler for 5 minutes per side, or until skin is blackened.
- Place the chiles into a paper sack, close tightly, and let them steam for 20 minutes.
- Remove the chiles from the sack and gently rub the skin off each chile. Remove stems and seeds, then dice. Note: You may want to wear gloves to protect your hands from the capsaicin in the chilis that causes the burning sensation on your skin.
- Remove husks from the tomatillos, rinse, and cut them into cubes.
- Cube chuck roast, removing any excess fat and gristle. Heat vegetable oil in a large heavy pot and add the cubed meat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then brown meat over medium-low heat. Then remove meat and put into slow cooker.
- Add onions to the pot and cook them on medium-low heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Add 1 cup chicken broth, to deglaze the pot.
- Put onions, garlic, and chicken broth into the slow cooker. Then add remaining chicken broth, chiles, tomatillos, 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, cumin, oregano, and allspice.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6 hours.
- After the 4 or 6 hours, remove lid and stir in remaining 1/2 cup cilantro. Season to taste, if necessary. In a small bowl, combine masa harina and 2 Tbsp. water. Add to the slow cooker, stirring until well combined.
- Continue cooking, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Stir in lime juice and serve hot with sour cream, tortillas, and chips. Enjoy!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.