Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Meringues
I originally made these for a friend who loves the taste of chocolate peanut butter cups but finds them too heavy. This is the perfect solution! They're so good, I now prefer these over peanut butter cups, myself. The peanut butter meringues are so crisp and light, even dipped in chocolate, they make you feel much less guilty.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes plus standing time
Total Time: 55 minutes plus standing time
- 1/3 cup peanut creamy butter
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 4 ounces dark chocolate
- Heat peanut butter in a small bowl in microwave for 45 seconds so it's melted and silky. Set aside to cool down a bit.
- Add room temperature egg whites to a clean, large bowl and add a pinch of salt. Beat with mixer on low speed, then medium speed, until soft peaks form.
- Beat in the sugar and cream of tartar. Increase the speed to high and beat another 5 or so minutes until you have stiff peaks.
- Stir the peanut butter. It should be a bit warm and super silky.
- Gently drizzle the peanut butter into the egg whites and fold in.
- You can use a piping bag or carefully use a spoon to create the little meringue discs. I used one piping bag.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pipe or spoon little discs of meringue onto it. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, until firm to touch, then shut off oven and allow to sit in warm oven for another 30 to 45 minutes.
- Melt chocolate in a bowl in the microwave for 30 second increments until smooth and silky. Dip half of each cookie into the melted chocolate.
- Allow the excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl.
- Place on a tray lined with parchment paper to cool until chocolate firms back up.
- Remove the meringues from paper. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!