Clay Jewelry Making Tips

Category Jewelry
Clay Bead Bracelet
Polymer, crayola and other clays can make beads and pendants for fashioning jewelry. This is a guide about clay jewelry making tips.

I mentioned part of this one other time. To make costume jewelry, that looks pretty glitzy for being fake, use that clay that is sold in so many stores made by the Crayola people. It comes in a foil container and has the red, green and yellow markings that crayola crayons do.

Anyway you can make earrings, pins, necklaces etc. I accidentally found out that when it is damp it will pick up the color and shine that is on the sheets of transfer foil. If you want to make a necklace, you can shape a design sort of like a small tablespoon and make it so it will almost wraparound. You can find an imprint of a leaf or shell or anything you find interesting, after you have the shape you like take the foil and press it against the clay, it is almost addicting, you can use the black or white, or other colors, you could also put glitter on it, and to protect it when it is dry you can use clear fingernail polish. You might get some fun Mother's Day ideas. When I tried the foil with my grandsons and their friends, they thought it was like magic. Of course follow all the safety instructions. If you use the clear polish use in a well ventilated area. Maybe there are some kids in your neighborhood that can't afford mother's day gifts? Have fun.

You might end up the favorite Mom in yours. Also if you have jewelry that needs glitzing up you could use the clay to repair a chip. I have even used an idea like this. I had gold colored, not real jewelry and I used Aileen's foil glue and the gold foil, then smoothed it, and used the fingernail polish to protect it. You can also get real gold leaf, more expensive. Hope somebody tries this and let's me know how it turns out.

One other idea, the molds in the store for clay work really well. I use a little bit of vaseline to keep the clay from sticking to the mold.

P.S. If the clay does not want to take the shine, make sure you are using the correct side, and dampen the clay just a little more. It air dries, you can use multi colored metallics and maybe a little pink acrylic metallic paint that comes out with something that looks like blackhills gold.

You can use crochet thread for the pendant holder and those small bangle like sequins, the ones that I found were from Cartwright Sequins, on the internet. I was able to get a crochet hook through them, or you could just use that pretty polished cotton, I think it is sold by the yard.

By Kersti from Bellevue, WA

I was working with the kind of clay that air drys, not hard clay, the one I use is made by Crayola and comes in a foil wrapper. I was trying to make some jewelry. I had sheets of transfer foil, I placed the foil sheet against the slighty damp clay and the foil transferred. You use the dull side of the foil. It comes in all kinds of fun colors and is easy to make whatever shape you want,

It was one of those accidental discoveries, it was fun, because I was going to wait till the clay dried and use the sizing medium, but this turned out to be more fun. I showed it to my grandsons and their friends and it made a big hit. Make the shape you want before it comes in contact with the foil, unless you want to dull the foil. Sorry I can't show you a picture.

By Kersti from Bellevue, WA