Cleaning CD and DVD Players

Category Electronics
To ensure proper performance when listening to a CD or watching a DVD, you will want to keep these electronics clean. This is a guide about cleaning CD and DVD players.

I have a cover for a portable DVD player that is either rubber or vinyl. It has become sticky. How do I clean this sticky surface without more of the same happening? The DVD player was in a closet of a motor home for a few years before it was even taken from the box. I tried mild detergent, Goo-be-Gone, and a few other household cleaning products. I have not tried auto tire and vinyl conditioners or alcohol.

By Paul

Answers

Try dusting it with body powder. I had a doll that got sticky like that, and nothing would work, so I applied powder and it took away the stickiness.

I have a Samsung DVD/VCR player. The DVDs load but stop playing. They will not fast forward or rewind. Any suggestions? Is there a cleaner that may be used?

Linda from IL

Answers

First thing to do is write down the name, make, model & serial numbers and go over to

WWW(dot)Fixya(dot)com

Not only did I find the answer to my "new" dvd player not-working-problem, but the forums' folks explained where to find the problem area & how to fix it right!

I need to know how to go about cleaning DVD's and DVD/CD players. I am afraid dust or some kind of particles may have entered mine since it does't want to play. It is not very old.

Thank you,
Joan from CT

Answers

Cleaning CD and DVD players is very easy. Go to any electronics store or even your local supermarket and look for a cleaner. These are usually packaged in a DVD case. There are two types, wet and dry. The cheaper dry ones have a disc with little brushes that will dust off the internal laser that reads the disc. The wet type uses a liquid to "wash" off the laser in addition to the dusting. Most of the players recommend cleaning every 10 hours of play, which is about every 5 movies. Usually a monthly cleaning is sufficient, or when you start to notice problems. I have also found that computer burned DVD's will start having problems sooner than Hollywood mass marketed DVD's.

Considering that your player doesn't work at all, I would get the wet type and do it a couple of times. Usually the problem starts small and gets worse over time. If the player just stopped cold, the problem may not be a dirty laser lens but something more serious. Unfortunately is is rarely cost effective to repair these devices. You can pick up a cheap one for as little as $30.00 on sale and a name brand one for around $100.00. I would never spend more than that as I have used many different brands and have never noticed any playing difference between the cheap and expensive brands. If it is less than a year old, check your warranty.

One last thing. Make sure you buy a DVD cleaner for DVD players and a CD cleaner for CD players. Many are now multiformat and will work for all disc players and game consoles but make sure it specifically states that. Good luck!

Jess in Portland, OR