Cleaning Flip Flops?

Has anyone has any tried washing flip flops in the washing machine? Did it work? Was it a tragedy? I am too lazy to wash them by hand and I've always wondered if the washing machine works?

Thanks,
Harleychic From SLC, UT

By gator10tx (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Many things have been used over the years. I usually used is a nail brush or the largest brush that'll fit between the straps; I've used Dawn detergent or shampoo. If you have crusty oil or tar spots, from walking along the ocean first apply an ice cube to freeze the spot then scrape off as much as you can before using other solvents/stain removers. If you have a solvent made just for removing heavy grease or tar, use that and it should work. Also use alcohol for ink stains; dry-cleaning solution for heavy-duty stains such as Magic Marker spots. If yours are the plastic flip-flops, you're safe using a variety of dirt/stain removers. If yours is made of other material, follow directions for stain removal for that fabric or leather.

Haven't tried the washing machine. Best way I know is an old toothbrush and a little bit of bar soap.

It really doesn't take very long. Just rub the toothbrush over the soap and then over the flip flops and rinse off in the sink.

By HARLEYCHIC (Guest Post)

I tried it this weekend and it didn't work too well. I will have to keep using the AJAX and toothbrush method!!!

By Jenn smiles (Guest Post)

I wash my Gator like shoes in the dishwasher with a bunch of other non-dish type things, (rubber maid containors, My sons toys, garbage lids, etc) They come out pretty clean. I use the vinagar/ baking soda method at the same time, this helps keep the drains clean, and cleans the inside of the dishwasher.

By (Guest Post)

Try dishwasher.

By (Guest Post)

My nine year old daughter plugs the tub and lets them soak while she showers then gives them a quick scrub with a nail brush. Works great. (also does this to "crocs")

By Allison (Guest Post)

Buy dark blue or dark purple or brown or maroon or black flip flops next time so dirt and wear won't show as much.

By LORI (Guest Post)

HOW ABOUT WASHING IN THE DISHWASHER? W/O FOOD ITEMS OF COURSE

I use shaving cream/gel and a brush...

By Josh (Guest Post)

what about deck shoes?

By pat (Guest Post)

i use a toothbrush and bar soap too, works well but it's hard work. i have like 12 pairs of flip flops so it takes a while especially since i wash each after every use.

YES, im sort of O.C.D. when it comes to my flip flops.

By Roxane (Guest Post)

I have been using the Magic eraser by mr clean. The blue one not the orange one, to clean my sneakers and sandals. If you scrub to hard sometime the color comes off, but it works wonders. It is also good for cleaning bathtubs.

By lauren (Guest Post)

WASHERMACHINE DOES NOT WORK

By (Guest Post)

Soft scrub w/bleach, the thick foaming clingy stuff, works pretty good, if you have minor dirty. Just spray and leave and it should come off, but mine were bad so I couldn't. Just leave them soak, I had a little scrubbing to do! Hope this works!

By Mara (Guest Post)

use laundry detergent and a toothbrush

By xoxohotyxoxo (Guest Post)

you could also use an eraser but a nail brush is easier!

By jonny (Guest Post)

oxyclean and laundry detergent works wonders...it's the best way to clean them

By sfdixie (Guest Post)

I like to use the SOS pads that have the soap in them already. It will scub a pair of flip flops clean in no time.

By Thor (Guest Post)

Great suggestions. My daughter cleans hers in the shower with a toothbrush and simple dishwashing liquid. They look great.

By Guest Post (Guest Post)

LAZY GIRL'S GUIDE TO CLEAN FLIP FLOPS:
1. Wear flip flops while you shower to remove street dirt/grime. 2. Throw flip flops into a hot water bleach towel load to alleviate ground-in foot odour. If you're leaving the towels to soak for a few hours, leave 'em. They can take it! Remove before softener cycle. 3. Dry in the sun.

This works best on white/beige flip flops. But even the darker ones benefit from the disinfection. For ground in dirt, I love Mr. Clean MAGIC ERASER.

By Bethany (Guest Post)

I need to know how to clean white hollister flip flops. HELP ANYONE!

By Zack (Guest Post)

I bought the new Hollister fabric flip flops and I tried cleaning one of them with the Tide To Go pen and it just made the stain darker, any help ?

By someguy (Guest Post)

Baby wipes work wonders for me.

By Flip-Flop QUeEn101 (Guest Post)

So if you have old navys new flip-flop I would reccomend using a clorox wipe the orange package it really work! I have 55 pairs of flip flops that I wear daily and or weekly but I would use that it works so good just scrub and let them dry in the sun or in your house!

(if you have fancy ones with designs I would not use this method of clean unless you want the design to come off)! Please try it works great it take literally like 2 minutes!

By kristin (Guest Post)

Just washed my white abercrombie and fitch flip flops with laundry detergent. It works really well and they look new(:

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing ShoesMay 26, 2006
👒
🐛
🐰
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Cleaning-Flip-Flops.html