Cleaning Grease Buildup on a Gas Stove

Category Appliances
Normal cooking often leaves a greasy film or burned spots on your stove. This is a guide about cleaning grease buildup on a gas stove.

How do I clean baked grease on the back of a gas stove?
Thanks.

By J. Burden from Boulder, CO

Answers

Best Answer

I learned this from my aunt. She uses oven cleaner for cleaning the top of her gas stove and it looks brand new.

I have an old O'Keefe and Merritt Gas Stove. It has a grill and boiler, I need to clean under the grill. How do I get rid of the old food build up? I also have the water heater next to the stove and it has built up grease, how do I get rid of that as well? Thank you in advance for your help.

Naomi from San Francisco, CA

Answers:

Cleaning Grease Buildup on a Gas Stove

If you find nothing else that works, try one of those portable steam cleaners with a long nose and brush at the end. I worked for a large rental department of a real estate company for a while and found tenants seldom cleaned very well. I tried all kinds of cleaners and chemicals, even TSP, tri-sodium-phosphate, very harsh and somewhat dangerous. The steamer did the trick and did not damage any thing else, good luck. (02/23/2009)

By Leo the repair guy

I just recently got a new Thermador stainless steel gas stove top with 6 burners. The burners are already stained from grease buildup. I tried Easy Bam and 409, nothing is helping these old stains. Any suggestions?

Barbara from La Canada, CA

Answers:

Cleaning Grease Buildup on a Gas Stove

What worked for me was plain old vinegar. I was able to get most of the grease buildup off this way the first time I did a deep cleaning, but it also helps to put some in a spray bottle and spray your stove before you heat anything. It seems to make the gunk clean off easier. I spray the outside of teapots and pots/pans, too, before I'm about to use them, so they clean up easier. (08/27/2006)

By gwgeiger

Cleaning Grease Buildup on a Gas Stove

Try scrubbing with baking soda and a damp cloth. This works very well for me. (08/28/2006)

By jlxian

Cleaning Grease Buildup on a Gas Stove

Try using coke. It works great as a grease cleaner and is cheap (08/30/2006)

By Joy

Cleaning Grease Buildup on a Gas Stove

Soap filled steel wool pads, also known as SOS pads and some elbow grease (also known as effort) will be what it takes to remove burned on grease splatters. I assume that's what you're referring to when you say "stained from grease build up". (08/30/2006)

By Grandma Margie

Cleaning Grease Buildup on a Gas Stove

I use Dawn dish liquid. I put a little on a wet cloth and get the stove soapy and then wring out the cloth and wipe off the soap. May have to wring out a couple times.
(08/30/2006)

By ditzy46

Cleaning Grease Buildup on a Gas Stove

Arm and Hammer washing soda! Cleans everything with little effort. Non-toxic and very cheap. SOS pads, as mentioned above work great too. (08/31/2006)

By Mary

Cleaning Grease Buildup on a Gas Stove

Regardless, remember to cover the holes of your gas elements WELL or risk clogging/ruining them.

Read the mfg. suggestions in the owner's manual for best advice on cleaning his product. (09/05/2006)

By Lynda