Cleaning Dirty Stovetop Griddle

Category Kitchen
A stovetop griddle can become covered with burnt on food very easily. With a little degreaser and some scrubbing cleaning a dirty stovetop griddle isn't too hard.

How do I clean a really dirty stove top griddle? We just bought a new house and the previous owners left it and never cleaned it.

Answers

Best Answer

Scrape it as clean as you can with a spatula then remove it (there should be a small handle up front but there are different brands of course so yours is probably different then mine)
soap it down with regular dish washing detergent & rinse.
If I have a lot of grease from bacon for instance I scrape it toward the back of the griddle where there is a small grease trap- I let the griddle cool off & when the grease is more solid I spoon it out into a can or bag & toss it into the trash (you definitely don't want to risk a clogged drain with grease) & normally I put the griddle on it's side on one of the sides of the bottom rack of the dishwasher to make sure it's clean & then put it back in the stove.

While it's out I often use a mini dust pan & brush but have also used a vaccum cleaner to get the crumbs & salt & so on out of the stove & wipe it out.

I just cleaned the vent cover over the oven, and used a trick I learned on a British TV show. Get washing soda {not baking soda} found normally in your laundry isle, near the borax. I put warm water and about a cup of the washing soda, soaked the vent cover, didn't need to scrub at all it came out brand new, actually I don't think it was this clean when it was new...hahaha. I also used a white rag with the mixture to clean the fan etc and it came out just as clean.

Best of Luck.

Kim

By Memere (Guest Post)

Get 'Greased Lightning'. It comes in a spray bottle and can be found just about anywhere (i.e.

Wal-Mart). This product will break down and remove almost anything on any surface, even old baked-on greasy areas. It has become my one and only product.

By (Guest Post)

Easy!! Buy and use a automotive degreaser. Just spray it on, let it sit a few minutes, then use a pot scrubber and it comes right off.