Cleaning In Tight Spaces

Using small brushes such as nail or art brushes might be just the solution to cleaning in some small spaces. Other atypical or repurposed tools can also work well. This is a guide about cleaning in tight spaces.

I found that an easy solution to cleaning corners or tight spots is to purchase a cheap set of artist paintbrushes from the craft area at Walmart, etc. Use the big brushes for larger dirty areas, small brushes for tiny areas.

Just wet the bristles with water, spray the dirty spot with cleaning solution (or just use water), swipe the dirty area a few times, rinse the bristles and swipe again.

For instance: When our plumber installed our kitchen and bathroom sinks, he left a very tight spot between the back wall and the back of the sinks. The bristles on the paintbrushes fit in there perfectly to keep it clean.

Another helpful tip: If you have men/boys in your house, urine seems to find it's way down the outside of the toilet to the floor. To keep urine odors at bay, spray the edge with your cleaning solution, then use a larger sized brush to scrub along and UNDER the rim at the bottom of the toilet where it meets the floor.

By ann from northern Ontario, Canada

Top Comment

I love my steam cleaner. It cleans tight spaces very well.

I rarely use a nail brush to clean under my nails, as I use the end of a nail file, so I have a small collection of nail brushes I've saved from gift sets (frugal people save anything they think they will eventually find a use for). I keep a couple of them by the sink in the laundry room and have found they are great for scrubbing small spaces - a little larger than an old toothbrush and smaller than a traditional scrub brush. They have come in handy time and time again.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL