Cleaning Silver and Opal Jewelry

I have a silver necklace with opals in silver settings. Is it saft to use the salt, soda, and water with the aluminum foil. Will it damage the opals?

Best Answer

Yes, Opals are porous and can easily crack; they require oil like Olive Oil gently wiped over to keep it's luster and protection. Never wear opal jewelry in dishwater or other harsh detergents and frequently wipe over with soft oiled cloth.

Best Answer

I have some custom made opal jewelry. The artist who made them told me to clean my opal jewelry with baking POWDER (NOT baking soda). Just pour a teaspon of BP into a small bowl, and pinch a dap onto the jewlry the rub around. (I have a baby toothbrush that I use for crevices around the stones) then wipe off and "buff" with dry towel. My one ring is in sterling setting with 24k gold inlay. It also polishes those without damage.

Anonymous

Opals should only be cleaned with oil as it's porous and easily cracked. You should never wear jewelry with opals to do dishes by hand or get in any harsh detergents.

Frequently oil the stone and wipe with soft cloth to keep it at its best.

Home and Garden Cleaning JewelryOctober 9, 2015
🎂
🌻
📓