Cleaning Stinky Facecloths and Towels

My facecloths were getting to the point of making me want to vomit from the smell they gave off once wet. I found that lots of people are having this problem. I noticed that it was worse if they were not left for enough time in the dryer!

This all started when I started to use liquid washing soaps. So I went back to powder and hot water and a soak for facecloths, towels, and sheets. I also use a similar process for the dishwashing and cleaning cloths we use. I use gel Javex and powdered soap in hot water, to kill those nasty bacteria because cold water "does not" kill any of that.

Well to my total amazement after the first wash all smells have disappeared completely. They are back to smelling like cloth should smell. I am so happy I got rid of it. Believe me, I tried everything (vinegar, soda, soda wash, and so on and so forth). I was thinking of buying new everything again, but I had changed everything last year. The problem is now solved, try it!

By Elfy from Quebec, Qc. Canada

I have very hard water, and I never have stinky laundry. I'm thinking that it's because of several things that I do.

First of all, I have a laundry ball that I leave in the tub, which enhances the agitator action, and with that use a very, very small amount of liquid detergent, probably less than a quarter cup per large tub, just until I can feel there's something in it, but before it shows suds. To that I sprinkle in borax (I don't bother to measure), which acts as a softener.

I also fill the rinse cup, which dispenses at the last rinse, with white vinegar. This makes sure that no soap/detergent residue gets left in the laundry. And then I dry in the dryer the least amount of time (to save energy).

Very, very simple.

This is my formula for pleasant smelling laundry. I have forgotten the laundry, and still have never had it turn sour. If it did, I would just go through the process again.