Cleaning Vinyl Siding

Keeping the outside of your house clean not only extends the life of your siding but also makes it look beautiful for longer. This is a guide about cleaning vinyl siding.

The weather has been humid and rainy for the past several days. This morning, while checking the gutter for pecan blooms, I noticed that I could wipe the mildew off the vinyl siding with my finger making it just right for cleaning and not having to wet it down. Since I already had the step ladder out, I decided to give it a try.

I filled a small bucket with hot water and put a little Dawn and Clorox in the water. I hung the bucket on the step ladder where you hang a paint bucket and went to work. The hardest part was moving the bucket and step ladder. I didn't even have to spray the siding with the hose which is good. The ground is already saturated.

Now that I've gotten that done, I'm ready to clean all the other, but I'll have to have some help to get that done.

If you can reach it, washing vinyl siding with a rag is as easy as washing the car.

Vinyl Siding is easy to wash by hand except for reaching the high spots and getting up on a ladder is not for old folks like us. We needed a brush that we could attach to a pole for cleaning the gutters and other areas that are high.

I found this non scratching "soft bristles wash brush" in the grocery store and it was not expensive so I thought it was worth a try. My husband took it and screwed it to an 8 ft. by 1 1/4 inch wooden dowel and then put some duct tape around it for extra support.

We cleaned all the siding, the gutters and two window awnings with it and it worked just great. I think it is going to hold up well as after all this usage it is still good as new.

By littergitter from NC

House siding of all types can provide a good place for mold growth under certain conditions. This is a guide about cleaning mold from vinyl siding.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Can you mix ammonia and water as a solution to clean outside vinyl siding? If so, what mixture?

By Bob

Answers

Use vinegar and dawn.

My daughter added a woodstove to one room in her house this winter. The stovepipe was such that it created a downdraft and caused creosote to get all over her vinyl siding. Does anyone have a solution or product that will work on this?

By Mainedame

Answers

Could try to warm it with a hair dryer, scrape it off with heavy duty steel wool, or I'd try WD-40 that stuff works on a lot of things. Or try a hot water wash and scrub.

We had an exterminator spray for yellow jackets. The insecticide has left yellow and brown stains on our white vinyl siding. How can we get the stains off? They seem to be baked on by the sun.

By Donna from Charleroi, PA

Answers

I would first see if they come off with water and agitation with a soft brush. The spot might be water soluble and easily removed this way. If the spots are persistent and not easily removed with water, maybe try a simple degreaser or all-purpose cleaner. Follow directions on container and start with a medium strength solution.

Be gentle, and test a spot to make sure there will be no bad reactions.

I would also recommend calling the Exterminator and asking them to remove the stains. They should be very aware of the stains their product leaves behind, and should have told you this might happen and allowed you to possibly choose another form of exterminating.

I have a bird feeder that is suctioned to my window and in the winter I offer suet. Little bits fall and the birds also clean their beaks off by rubbing it on the stonework shelf/sill under the window. There is also about 4 inches of vinyl covering part of the stonework from the edge of the window covering half the stonework. The suet is melted onto that too. I have been scrubbing with vinegar and I've got all the debris off except the suet. Any ideas?

By Julie Q

I had a new roof put on my home and they removed the old one and stained a lot of my vinyl siding with black marks. It is a combination of the old stuff hitting the house. Any good ideas for removing it from white vinyl siding?

Joseph from New Jersey

Answers:

Cleaning Vinyl Siding

We had the same stain, but on the lower part of our home. We used Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. If it is a much larger area and in a spot too high to reach from a window, this may not work. Good luck. (11/14/2006)

By Jill

Cleaning Vinyl Siding

I would suggest getting a lawyer to go after them to clean up their mess and pay for the lawyer's fee, also! (11/15/2006)

By nancy80501

Cleaning Vinyl Siding

I agree. They should clean it off. Have you called them about this? Good luck. (04/20/2009)

By kathleen williams