Cleaning Vinyl Siding

0
Share
Save
Follow
Print

The weather has been humid and rainy for the past several days. This morning, while checking the gutter for pecan blooms, I noticed that I could wipe the mildew off the vinyl siding with my finger making it just right for cleaning and not having to wet it down. Since I already had the step ladder out, I decided to give it a try.

I filled a small bucket with hot water and put a little Dawn and Clorox in the water. I hung the bucket on the step ladder where you hang a paint bucket and went to work. The hardest part was moving the bucket and step ladder. I didn't even have to spray the siding with the hose which is good. The ground is already saturated.

Now that I've gotten that done, I'm ready to clean all the other, but I'll have to have some help to get that done.

If you can reach it, washing vinyl siding with a rag is as easy as washing the car.

More Solutions

Vinyl Siding is easy to wash by hand except for reaching the high spots and getting up on a ladder is not for old folks like us. We needed a brush that we could attach to a pole for cleaning the gutters and other areas that are high.

soft bristles wash brush

8 Questions

Can you mix ammonia and water as a solution to clean outside vinyl siding? If so, what mixture?

By Bob

Answers

Use vinegar and dawn.

Answer this Question

My daughter added a woodstove to one room in her house this winter. The stovepipe was such that it created a downdraft and caused creosote to get all over her vinyl siding. Does anyone have a solution or product that will work on this?

By Mainedame

Answers

Could try to warm it with a hair dryer, scrape it off with heavy duty steel wool, or I'd try WD-40 that stuff works on a lot of things. Or try a hot water wash and scrub.

Answer this Question

We had an exterminator spray for yellow jackets. The insecticide has left yellow and brown stains on our white vinyl siding. How can we get the stains off? They seem to be baked on by the sun.

By Donna from Charleroi, PA

Answers

I would first see if they come off with water and agitation with a soft brush. The spot might be water soluble and easily removed this way. If the spots are persistent and not easily removed with water, maybe try a simple degreaser or all-purpose cleaner. Follow directions on container and start with a medium strength solution. Be gentle, and test a spot to make sure there will be no bad reactions.

I would also recommend calling the Exterminator and asking them to remove the stains. They should be very aware of the stains their product leaves behind, and should have told you this might happen and allowed you to possibly choose another form of exterminating.

Answer this Question

I have a bird feeder that is suctioned to my window and in the winter I offer suet. Little bits fall and the birds also clean their beaks off by rubbing it on the stonework shelf/sill under the window. There is also about 4 inches of vinyl covering part of the stonework from the edge of the window covering half the stonework. The suet is melted onto that too. I have been scrubbing with vinegar and I've got all the debris off except the suet. Any ideas?

By Julie Q

Answer this Question

House siding of all types can provide a good place for mold growth under certain conditions. This is a page about cleaning mold from vinyl siding.

Cleaning Mold From Vinyl Siding - arrow pointing to cleaned area

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I had a new roof put on my home and they removed the old one and stained a lot of my vinyl siding with black marks. It is a combination of the old stuff hitting the house.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Maintenance and RepairAugust 8, 2011
👔
🐛
👒
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Cleaning-Vinyl-Siding-1.html