Cleaning a Bathtub Mat

Category Bathroom
Bathtub
These mats can get slippery if not allowed to dry out completely. This guide is about cleaning a bathtub mat.

I bought new bath mats and they stink like skunk. I have washed them in the washer. After I use them, I hang them over the tub; however, they still stink like skunk. I hate to buy new ones. They are rubber and feel like grass on top. Help.

By Shirley from Louisville, KY

It's like when you wash dishes the rag has a funny smell same with ours. Pets could also be the problem.

No animal ever gets into my bathtub. Yuck. I just bought these a few weeks ago and thought it was just the new rubber smell that would wear off. It hasn't and I've thrown them in my front load washer and still no luck. After every use, I pull them up and hang them over the tub to dry out, too. Please, someone help me get rid of the problem. No silly posts, please. I've just joined this site for honest answers.

I have a bathmat like that. It's not skunk, it's the smell of the mat itself because it's new. The only thing that cures it is time. The smell will eventually go away. Until then, you might want to air it out daily on a clothesline or whatever, and that will help speed up the process.

I had the same problem with a cutting mat I bought years ago. I had to keep it in the plastic bag it came in for months, because it just smelled so bad. Now, it doesn't smell at all. So don't worry, there is hope!

Honestly, I'm not sure if there's much you can do. Sometimes rubber or plastic just has a bad odor. Since they're new and you've washed them it's probably not mildew. You could try hanging them up outside to see if that helps. Good luck!

I bought a bottle of pet odor removal (if it removes pet odors, it should work on any odors) and poured it on them letting them sit in the tub. I also sprayed them with Fabreeze.

Plastic/rubber items often "outgas" when they are new - hence the smell - Leave the mat outside as much as possible to let the gasses dissipate & with them, the smell. (Same happens with plastic shower curtains....)

I have a bath mat with the suction cups on the bottom. Is there any way to keep this from growing mold? After every shower, I hang the mat up to dry. I leave the shower curtain open for a while to let the air circulate. I soak it in bleach and hot water every so often. This takes care of it for a little while, but the mold is back within a week. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Jessiworm from WI

One solution would be to take the mat and scrub it with hot water and bleach. I'd add a splash of bleach to a bucket of hot water and use a scrub brush to clean it good. Be sure to wear your gloves, that stuff will eat your skin! I would use the bleach sparingly, it does go a long way. I know when my shower is gross, bleach water will take off all that ick and leave it nice and white. Hope that helps you out. :)

I would give it a spritz of lysol spray after it has dried off then maybe you wouldn't have to do the bleach cleaning as often. You could try Tilex mold and mildew remover, I use this in my shower and it does work well, but the fumes are terribly strong.

Possibly your bath area needs a stronger vent to eliminate humidity. Get the most powerful one you can afford.

You could try that cleaner that is made to spritz the shower after you are done and see if that works. Good luck!

I use Tilex Mold & Mildew spray. I think it is also used for soap scum too. I spray my bath mat down let it set for a bit then rinse. Every day I hang it to dry. I usually do it every 2 weeks to keep up with it.

Rather than using a bathmat, try using an anti-slip treatment. I bought InvisaTread online and now we threw away the rubber mat. Safer tub, no worries of mold.

How can I remove the slippery stuff on the bottom of my bathtub mat?

By Jean