Cleaning a Bathtub Mat

Category Bathroom
These mats can get slippery if not allowed to dry out completely. This guide is about cleaning a bathtub mat.

I'm a senior and my bath mat is only a month old. It holds nicely in the tub. The problem is that the top of the mat gets very slippery while I'm taking my shower. I've tried everything. Any suggestions?

Answers

Best Answer

You would need to find an Anti-Slip Mat or like Judy mentioned one that has textures so you cannot slip.

I bought new bath mats and they stink like skunk. I have washed them in the washer. After I use them, I hang them over the tub; however, they still stink like skunk. I hate to buy new ones. They are rubber and feel like grass on top. Help.

By Shirley from Louisville, KY

Answers

It's like when you wash dishes the rag has a funny smell same with ours. Pets could also be the problem.

No animal ever gets into my bathtub. Yuck. I just bought these a few weeks ago and thought it was just the new rubber smell that would wear off. It hasn't and I've thrown them in my front load washer and still no luck.

After every use, I pull them up and hang them over the tub to dry out, too. Please, someone help me get rid of the problem. No silly posts, please. I've just joined this site for honest answers.

I have a bathmat like that. It's not skunk, it's the smell of the mat itself because it's new. The only thing that cures it is time. The smell will eventually go away. Until then, you might want to air it out daily on a clothesline or whatever, and that will help speed up the process.

I had the same problem with a cutting mat I bought years ago. I had to keep it in the plastic bag it came in for months, because it just smelled so bad. Now, it doesn't smell at all. So don't worry, there is hope!

Honestly, I'm not sure if there's much you can do. Sometimes rubber or plastic just has a bad odor.

Since they're new and you've washed them it's probably not mildew. You could try hanging them up outside to see if that helps. Good luck!

I bought a bottle of pet odor removal (if it removes pet odors, it should work on any odors) and poured it on them letting them sit in the tub. I also sprayed them with Fabreeze.

Plastic/rubber items often "outgas" when they are new - hence the smell - Leave the mat outside as much as possible to let the gasses dissipate & with them, the smell. (Same happens with plastic shower curtains....)

I had a cat spray my bathroom rugs too. If you've ever smelled cat spray you'll notice it smell very close to skunk. What I did was to put them in the washer as if I was going to wash them with laundry detergent and a full load of water, then add 2 cups of baking soda and 2 cups of white vinegar and let washer start to wash but only for 5 minutes and then stop the washer and let soak for a few hours (it would be better over night) then, the next morning wash the whole load.

Make sure that you add the vinegar in the rinse also. It has also worked for me. It will work for you too. At least you can give it a try. Good luck

Were they made in China?
Call the store you bought them and ask to speak to the manager.Tell him/her what the problem is and see what they will do for you. Even after you washed something some stores will replace or refund your money for a product that isn't satisfactory. Or even better, make sure the manager is in the store, then take them back to the store and let them smell them. The more complaints they get the better. I get so tired of having to take stuff back, but if they don't get complaints how are they to know the public is fed up with imports that are dangerous and poorly made. I had to take back a "snuggle" because of moth holes in it, the replacement had a dead moth inside the "snuggle" that was sealed in the plastic inside the package. Yuck! GG Vi

Just a point on using baking soda and vinegar as deodorizers. Use one or the other, but not both together in the same wash. One is an acid (vinegar) and one is a base (baking soda), and both work on their own, but if you combine them they neutralize each other and all you get is salt water.

And carbon dioxide bubbles.

I would be careful using things like pet odor remover. Sometimes those things smell worse than the odor you are trying to remove.

I would try washing/ soaking in baking soda, then if that doesn' t work, try the vinegar. And always hang them outside in the sun to air out.

I have a bath mat with the suction cups on the bottom. Is there any way to keep this from growing mold? After every shower, I hang the mat up to dry. I leave the shower curtain open for a while to let the air circulate. I soak it in bleach and hot water every so often. This takes care of it for a little while, but the mold is back within a week. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Jessiworm from WI

Answers

By omeggan (Guest Post)

One solution would be to take the mat and scrub it with hot water and bleach. I'd add a splash of bleach to a bucket of hot water and use a scrub brush to clean it good. Be sure to wear your gloves, that stuff will eat your skin!

I would use the bleach sparingly, it does go a long way. I know when my shower is gross, bleach water will take off all that ick and leave it nice and white. Hope that helps you out. :)

I would give it a spritz of lysol spray after it has dried off then maybe you wouldn't have to do the bleach cleaning as often. You could try Tilex mold and mildew remover, I use this in my shower and it does work well, but the fumes are terribly strong.

Possibly your bath area needs a stronger vent to eliminate humidity. Get the most powerful one you can afford.

By suzi_homemaker01 (Guest Post)

You could try that cleaner that is made to spritz the shower after you are done and see if that works. Good luck!

I use Tilex Mold & Mildew spray. I think it is also used for soap scum too. I spray my bath mat down let it set for a bit then rinse. Every day I hang it to dry. I usually do it every 2 weeks to keep up with it.

Rather than using a bathmat, try using an anti-slip treatment. I bought InvisaTread online and now we threw away the rubber mat. Safer tub, no worries of mold.

I turn mine suction cup up in the tub with hot water and some bleach. The trick later is to drain the mat after each use.

Has anyone had a problem with your rubber bath mat (cheap one) sort of "collecting" a bit of sticky, black residue? It is not mold or bacteria. It is, well, I'm not sure what it is or where it came from. But I really started having a problem with it after I sprayed a mixture of Clorox (chlorine) and water on my shower walls and on the mat to remove mold and sanitize them.

Now when I use the mat, after I get out of the shower, I have a sticky black residue on the bottom of my feet that I have to use rubbing alcohol to remove. Any suggestions on how to get this off and prevent it from coming back?
Thanks.

Answers

I would use Goo Gone on it and wash it separately

Sadly you are talking about the issue that made me give up on bath mats years ago and just use those sticky bath bottom appliques instead. At least when those go bad it is only a dollar or two to replace.

How can I remove the slippery stuff on the bottom of my bathtub mat?

By Jean

Answers

If it is soap scum, then a vinegar solution and some scrubbing should do it. If it is the start of some mildew, then a 10% bleach solution (and some scrubbing) should do it.