Removing Sticky Black Residue from Cheap Rubber Bath Mat

Has anyone had a problem with your rubber bath mat (cheap one) sort of "collecting" a bit of sticky, black residue? It is not mold or bacteria. It is, well, I'm not sure what it is or where it came from. But I really started having a problem with it after I sprayed a mixture of Clorox (chlorine) and water on my shower walls and on the mat to remove mold and sanitize them.

Now when I use the mat, after I get out of the shower, I have a sticky black residue on the bottom of my feet that I have to use rubbing alcohol to remove. Any suggestions on how to get this off and prevent it from coming back?
Thanks.

I would use Goo Gone on it and wash it separately

Sadly you are talking about the issue that made me give up on bath mats years ago and just use those sticky bath bottom appliques instead. At least when those go bad it is only a dollar or two to replace.

When you used the Clorox bleach you removed the protective coating off the bathmat and now you have a porous service that will collect any and everything that touches it.

I believe the best thing you can do is throw this one away and maybe buy the individual stickeys or another bath mat as there is nothing you can use to replace the protective coating.

Most people do not realize that bleach will remove the coating from almost any kind of plastic product and the product will then be porous and be open to collect stains and changes in the product service. Plastic coffee cups are a good example - clean with bleach and you will most likely never be able to remove the coffee stains.

Thank you for replying! However, this bath mat is definitely rubber, so I'm not sure if what you are saying would apply?