Cleaning a Prom Dress

Category Clothing
Cleaning a fancy dress at home can take some special care. This guide is about cleaning a prom dress.

How can you clean prom dresses without having to pay for professional dry cleaning? If you wash, then can you iron them with a low temperature?

Carolb from Fairview, TN

Answers

Request:

Can anyone give me any ideas on removing an Italian Dressing oil stain from the seat of a royal blue 100% polyester prom dress. The dress has no beads or sequins where the stain is located. I took the dress to a dry cleaners this morning and they refused to try and remove the stain because the tag says "do not wash, do not dry clean, PROFESSIONAL SPOT CLEAN ONLY. This dress was worn once on Saturday night. Thanks so much!

Kay

Answers:

grease stains
Janice Boltman (Guest Post)

I've tried putting baby powder on grease stains and letting them set over night. The powder absorbs the grease and then can be washed. If the clothes can not be washed just brush the powder off the next day .

RE: Salad Dressing Stain on Polyester Prom Dress
NOEL (Guest Post)

I would try Lestoil on the stain it works on a lot of things. pour some on the spot and let sit awhile. scrub with a toothbrush lightly to penetrate. it works on a lot of stains. if you cant find Lestoil in your area you can get it on the Web. Good luck

Post by for a lark

Well I assume that you have worn it already for the big event so...
the stain is oil and (poly) is a petrol. Product (oil) the two have likely bonded in an inseparable way. What I would do is PRINT A CRAZY PATTERN ON IT IN ITALIAN DRESSING! No really. Then send it to a dry cleaner (tag removed). Then HIGHLIGHT YOUR SUBTLE PATTERN. Outline it with a line of embroidery or thread.

Sounds nuts? Sure, but as it is you've got a stain that stands out, make it blend in

Post by Joankay

Try spraying the stain with Oxyclean, let it sit for a few minutes, then carefully sponge it off with clear water. As long as you avoid the beads and sequins it should be O.K. Good Luck!

sandy (Guest Post)

If it says professional spot clean only wouldn't the dry cleaner be the professional to spot clean it? take it to another place.

If you need to iron it, do it on the reverse side with a pressing cloth.

It would depend on the fabric and the size of the dress .. but I love Dryel or Dry Cleaners Secret (both available at places like WalMart) for things that absolutly have to be dry cleaned. Other items, again depending on the fabric I just hand wash. If it's a delicate item I like to use baby shampoo, it'll cut through dirt and oil and is gentle on the fabric.

To iron, I'd set the iron to whatever setting for the fabric and press inside out with a tea towel or pressing cloth in between and start in an hidden area to test.

Good Luck!

Does anyone know how to get eyeliner off of a dress?