Finding an Inexpensive Plus Size Prom Dress

Category Shopping
Shopping early and trying a variety of options such as thrift stores and on-line sites can help to find the best price on prom dresses. This is a guide about finding an inexpensive plus size prom dress.

I'm a size 30 and a little short on cash. I need a prom dress in a reasonable range. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please help!

Ashleigh from Richmond, VA

Answers

Best Answer

Try going to your thrift stores like goodwill or even consignment shops. They will have very pretty dress you can choose from very low priced. You can even alter one by taking off sleeves, cutting it shorter etc. Ebay is a good place too to look. Advertize on your local radio station (if they have a morning program as ours does) that you want to buy the size you need.

Best Answer

You will laugh, but find a pattern & fabric & make it yourself or take it to a seamstress. If the shopping for it is too overwhelming, ask for help in the store or take a friend along who would know about these things. We have a lady in town who makes bridesmaid dresses all the time. My granddaughter spent her own money for her prom dress last year - cost $300 - Crazy ! This year she shopped much earlier & got a good deal on one - lesson learned. Her friend had one made - probably because she is the youngest of 5 daughters & they don't spend $ like that - it was lovely. Back in the "olden" days (60's & 70's) we made our own. The Dollar Store (yes Dollar store !) in my hometown has a back room full of prom, wedding & bridesmaid dresses. They come crammed in big boxes & the help fluffs them up with a hand steamer after they are unpacked. They aren't a Dollar but they cost much less than from the Mall. There are options.

Best Answer

When you do search on ebay don't necessarily search just for prom dress. you can find lots of dress that are very pretty in other categories on ebay. Most prom dresses now are of all makes in design not just full tailed or long. some are short, cocktail type etc. so when you search ebay put in your size and it will bring up clothes then pick womens clothing then plus size then plus size dresses then to the left side column you will see types of dresses and colors you can pick from after you get that far then drop down the box at the top that says lowest price first. your bound to see lots of dresses in the size you need. our town this year started a program that they advertised on the radio that you can buy a prom dress for $10. A group got together and collected all types used prom dresses all sizes and set up a local day where any dress is just $10 so no one will be without a prom dress because of low income or hard times, because ever girl should get to go to her prom. and believe it or not start going to yard sales and the flea markets to search for them because others who know that time of year is near will put out the dresses they no longer need from previous proms to sell. not sure of your price range but here are 3 in the size you mentioned on ebay. Also here is a web site that sells large size paaterns that are very simple to make and very pretty, if you choose to make it or have it made

http://attr-sea  op=32%26fsoo%3D2

Here are some at very reasonable prices the red one comes with a shrug which is very in now for proms.
http://curvaceo  com/dresses.html
http://www.thef  -size-prom-dress
http://www.sewm  sspatterns.shtml

I need to find a really cheap prom dress that is under $50, that is a Plus size because I'm a big girl. If you have any suggestion please let me know.

Cassie from Springfield, MO

Answers:

Inexpensive Plus Size Prom Dress

Try a consignment shop or a thrift shop. (01/18/2008)

By perfume and powder

Inexpensive Plus Size Prom Dress

You might try a local on-line swap group or Craig`s list (again local, where you can go see it in person) and post a wanted ad, there should be some in your area. Or go to some of the plus-size sites and look under special occasion dresses, you might find something you like on sale, but under 50.00 might be hard to find. (01/18/2008)

By Tami

Inexpensive Plus Size Prom Dress

Look up Freecycle.com and join. Then you can ask for a specific size dress and see if someone has one to give away. The purpose of Freecycle is to keep things out of landfills, or you can give or ask for almost anything -- all for free.

When you get to Freecycle.com, look for Southwest Missouri group to join. That's ours here in Springfield.

Nancy (01/21/2008)

By NancyP

Inexpensive Plus Size Prom Dress

Have you checked at Avenue or Catherine's? (01/21/2008)

By hwalz

Inexpensive Plus Size Prom Dress

Check out Goodwill and/or www.shopgoodwill.com . Good luck (01/21/2008)

By Paula

Inexpensive Plus Size Prom Dress

Try your local church, you may find someone who will give you one for free. Often local churches give away free clothes and food you might be able to find one this way. (01/22/2008)

By crazylady4christ2007

Inexpensive Plus Size Prom Dress

Cassie, I live in Bolivar, MO. Some years ago, a friend and I went over to the festival at Friestadt. We got there early, so we checked out the area and ended up in Mt. Vernon. In Mt. Vernon there is a wonderful little bridal shop that had pre-worn gowns and prom dresses in a back room (available to the public) for as little as $5. Yes $5. I remarked that this would be a great place to buy dresses for children to play in. They were all lovely and I have no idea why they were so cheap. But since you're only 30-40 miles away, you should definitely check them out. They were on one of the corners in the square. (01/22/2008)

By Noella

Inexpensive Plus Size Prom Dress

When my mom and I were looking for a prom dress for my senior year we checked out Lazerus (now Macy's). We found a dress I loved on sale not to mention they had coupons available in the paper. After taxes we spent right around $30 when the rest of my friends were spending $100-200 for dresses they were less happy with. (01/22/2008)

By Jessie