How to Remove Odors on a Prom Dress

Category Clothing
This is a guide about removing odors on a prom dress. Generally prom dresses cannot be washed in the washing machine, which means the standard cleaners aren't an option. Here are some tips to try if you have a prom dress with hard to remove odors.

Prom and dancing can lead to sweating and, unfortunately, prom dresses are often difficult to clean. This is a guide about how to remove underarm odors on a prom dress.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

My daughter stored her prom dresses in my basement for several years. It's picked up an odor akin to cigarette smoke. She took it to a professional dry cleaners. They said nothing could be done. She now has them hanging in her garage.

Jerry Sweeney

Answers

By Anna from Maine (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I have removed terrible musty and mildew odors from clothing by putting a paper envelope with fresh coffee grounds (right from the can) in a plastic bag with the garments. I folded the garments and put the envelope with coffee in the middle. It may take a week or more but leave it until it is odor free.

By suzi homemaker (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I put a bag of charcoal and the fresh coffee grounds into my huge plastic city issued trash can and closed the lid and two days later the horrific odor was gone. Try it with the dresses in a plastic bin or large trash bags. Good luck!